upgraded my RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

clark33

In Runtime
My Mobo has a recommended limit of no more than 2gb RAM. However, believing i could push it a bit - i've been running with 2.5gb RAM. I have just taken the 512MB RAM bit out my mem slot and im now just running on 2gb - and i have to say, it seems to be more sharper. So i guess, you should never run on more than your motherboards recommended max??

Thanks

I've heard of people ecountering problems when the other DIMM slot is empty, or you have different capacities of ram in each slot(i.e 1gb and 512mb).

I've heard of people ecountering problems when the other DIMM slot is empty, or you have different capacities of ram in each slot(i.e 1gb and 512mb).

It's funny you should say that, as i was just about to post an update, to say that i now think my original statement was wrong. I notice a slight performance decrease operating with one 2gb bit and the other slot empty. (prior to last week; i had the 2gb bit in one slot and 512MB on other slot). I dont think running half a gig above the recommended capacity will do any harm what so ever. Therefore i am about to open my case back up and put the 512MB RAM back in. I do have dual channel slots, but I cant run two 2 gig bits - as having 4 gigs would shock my mobo i think. Therefore im certain that if i go with one 2gig and one 512 MB, would be better than dual channeling two 1 gig bits. Atleast - from the perspective of what techie knowledge I have, which isnt as much as some of the people on here ;)

The 1gb sticks would always be in dual channel with the extra 512 or without. There is no effect on performance by using different sized sticks of ram providing the speeds are the same. The motherboard can only set one generic speed to all ram so the slowest ram speed you put in there will limit faster ram dimms. It won't do any harm to stick too much in the slots and it may increase performance slightly. This would give no real world performance difference unless the speeds where vastly slower. It would inhibit overclocability though which in turn relates to real world performance

The 2gb limit is a rounded down approximation of the max capacity that the chipset will allow so it may be 2.1gb but for ease of documentation they put 2gb to be within safe guidelines and not have to bother with customer complaints. I assume your using xp given the age of the mobo and would only need more then 2gb if you are a professional media editor or CAD designer. Stick the 512 in anyway if you have no other use for it.

the slight performance decrease is due to the fact that one stick = single channel. it is very minimal.
also, are you sure your computer is actually seeing all 2.5gb? look at the "system" tab in the control panel.
typically what the mobo is made to run is what it will run, no more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom