Upgraded Dell but possible heat issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Upgraded Dell but possible heat issues

Here is the thing my friend bought this pc out of impulse.
Dell Inspiron Desktop PC 570 With 23" Monitor, Windows 7 Home Home Premium - Walmart.com
I know i wanted to kill him. I so could have build him something nice with that $800+ he spent on it.
I asked here if we could maybe upgraded to a ok gamin pc and i was told to upgrade it with the fallowing.
Newegg.com - BFG Tech GS-550 550W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.8 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply
and a XFX HD5770 1GB GDDR5 video card.
is all installed and running nice. he can finally play starcraft 2 on ultra settings lol.
Now my concern is that the case as you would see on the link above has no air flow.
hes going to be doing quite a bit of gaming on it. I have heard that you can take the side panel off and use a small box fan to help with cooling. I told him to do that for now and be careful and dust regularly.
Now i told him that we could change the case and fix this issue but i cant see what board it is on the details i think is atx but i'm not sure i can put things together but don't know much about parts.
I'm open to suggestions and all help is very much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
The Almighty Forensica
Default Re: Upgraded Dell but possible heat issues

That's the fun thing about Dell; sometimes they just like to make up their own standards and use those instead. So there's no guarantee it's going to be an ATX board, or any common standard. Best way to find out is to take out the board and see if you can fit it in a handy ATX case.

Desktop i5-4440 - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - EVGA GTX970 - 4x4GB 1600MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Be Silent Base 800 - 3TB+1TB+640GB
Laptop i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz, 2x4GB 1600Mhz, GT640M, OCZ Agility 3 120GB
Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 7 - 6.0

Uni MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University
Work Trainee Cell Site Analyst
LinkedIn Kiera Mitchell
Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Upgraded Dell but possible heat issues

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll let him know about that and see if he still want to try and change the case. maybe a full atx case will have no issue with this board but then again that's just a maybe lol.
Closed Thread