Upgraded CPU need info...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon master

Beta member
I just upgraded my Dell Dimension 4300 from an Intel Pentium 4 to a Intel Celeron. I used the heat sink already in the computer (not the one that came with the Celeron; It's pretty big though)
The computer works but I have some problems:
At first, the bios did not acknoledge it had a new CPU in it. At all. It still thought the old pentium was in it and said the clock speed was 0 mhz. (it was actually 2.7 ghz) But the computer worked fine. I flashed my bios. It now has the clock speed but not the CPU name right nor the correct memory speed. So my question is:

1.) How do I get it to recognize the new cpu.

2.) Since I used the heat sink on the old processor, will I have any problems with overheating. It hasn't yet and I watched awhole dvd and checked to see the temp of the processor every few minutes. I also aplied new heat sink lube to it also.

hmm did you make sure the mobo supported the Celeron CPU? that could be the problem

How do you upgrade a pentium with a celeron, you would need to have a significantly higher frequency on the Cele. Most likely H4x3r is right, your motherboard doesn't support celerons. I doubt dells actually use motherboards that will support other types than the specific one it is made for.

If you get it working, don't worry about overheating especially since you used the paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom