Upgraded Computer, should I upgrade my OS as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesT1

Solid State Member
This is my first post here (although I have been lurking and learning for a while).

My question is, If I have upgraded my RAM to 3 gbs, and installed a video card which has 2 gbs (I'm not sure how the video card's 2 Gbs affects anything), would it be best for me to upgrade to a 64 bit OS?

My CPU is 64 bit compatible (although I would like to eventually get something a little newer).

Thanks for your help.

iceycOLD,

That was my thought as well. However, I'm unsure if my CPU (an old intel Pentium 4), with Windows 7 installed, would result in slower performance than I have now.

The CPU would give me better performance (along with the OS), or the OS by itself would give me better performance?

Abstract Hero,

Thanks for the help. I suppose I'll give it a try (I've already started compiling all the 64 bit versions of all of my drivers).

Just remember that an OEM version of Windows is tied to the motherboard that it is initially install on. You can't just swap out the mobo and reinstall it. If you plan on upgrading the mobo then wait until you do to go to Win7.

Trotter,

I wasn't really planning on upgrading the mobo any time soon. Did you mean the OS is tied to the CPU (which I am planning on upgrading)?

No, not the CPU. Windows takes a snapshot of the hardware profile when it is installed, hence the need to reinstall when you change the mobo. An OEM copy is meant to be installed on a single computer and is not transferable like a retail copy is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom