Upgrade worth???

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartech

In Runtime
Hi. Recently I upgraded CPU & Mobo from what you see in my sig to 1.6 GHz Pentium 4 plus some RAM, so that is what I have now:

CPU: Pentium 4 1.6 GHz (100 QDR FSB x16) (Willamette, 256 KB L2)
MOBO: Intel Winnipeg D845WN
Memory: 256+128+128=512 MB SDRAM 133 MHz
Video: Abit GeForce FX 5200 128 MB DDR
Sound: Creative Live! 24-bit 7.1 Channel
Hard Drive: WD Caviar 80 GB 7200 RPM 8 MB Cache (Parallel ATA)

I have to say that performance in general tasks improved amasingly, like flash webpages not stuck anymore, multitasking is way better, simultaneous downloads, burning CD/DVD is finally on it's max speeds etc.

But with games, while better, it still sucks. For example UT 2003 works pretty slow on mid details, Hitman 3 is also stuck in scenes with many people in it, even Rise of Nations drops to 10 FPS with many troops on screen.

So back to the point, will better grafic card (like GeForce 6600) improve the things here, or the memory and/or CPU still won't let me play games above?

By the way, this **** mobo doesn't even have any option to overclock anything, and also the max AGP setting is only 4x.

With 4xAGP you will not see much performance inhancement. you are very outdated in relative terms to games now-a-days. I would sugest saving your money and building from scratch. read the posts here and see what you like, as there are hundreds of "my new build" posts and see what you can come up with.

Well, you right, this "new" CPU is about 5 years old. Though I'm planning to buy totaly new system (Pentium D 950, 2GB DDR2, GeForce 7900, etc.). But I still don't have the money, it will take couple of months (the war here halted everything, no work and income for a month).

So I thought just to get the best I can from the current system. (Also the games I mentioned are from 2002-2004, not so new either)

personally i wouldnt bother with that
just wait to u can afford the new comp
save the moey for the new graphics card and put it into the new computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom