Upgrade video card

dtham55

Solid State Member
I have an Intel D945GTP Pentium D motherboard 2.66 duo core CPU, 4 Gigs of OCZ RAM with an Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT 1 Gig PCI-E video card, 500W thermaltake power supply running windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

I can play Black Ops but it gets choppy when there's a lot going on. I want to get a better video card so i can play this game without it slowing down but i don't know what to get. Does anyone know a good compatible video card?

Thanks so much i think i'll run over to futureshop and see what they have. I'm going to get black ops 2 soon so i guess i'll have to spend a little on this upgrade lol...going to have to build another computer soon as this one i built is almost 6 years old.

ok so i went out and bought Black Ops II and decided to try it with this setup because the system requirements states that it should work with an Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512 card. I have the 9500 GT 1Gig and when i went to play the game all i could get was 5 FPS. I have all of the system requirements and then some but this game will not work properly. I shut off Norton and still the same thing happens 5 FPS.

I like the GTX 660 so i guess it's a new vid card and maybe a faster processor too eh...unless there's something i can do to fix the FPS issue, any suggestions???

Also...i would like to know what other processors would be compatible with my motherboard...i have an intel D945GTP Pentium D 2.66 Ghz Duo Core socket 775.

Last edited:
The 8800GTS is by far way superior than the 9500GT even if they are both very old. Get the GTX660 first and then go from there. My 6000+ X2 (which is slower) and a 5850 plays BF3 with a solid 60FPS. A 660 and C2D will play Rehash Ops 2 fine.

Yes the 8800GT is far better than a 9500gt.

Best card combo for a Pentium D 2.6 is probably going to be either a Nvidia GT240 or Radeon HD 5670. Unfortunately the 660Ti is so going to be bottle necked by a Pentium D "just saying".

GT240 is almost as bad as what he currently has. The 6000+ bottlenecks my 580 as well, doesn't mean it doesn't get the job done. Games are 90% all GPU. 2 posts up I also mentioned 650ti and 7850 also both of which would also completely fix his problem. The 660ti is too expensive and powerful to warrant an upgrade to that, but still would also do the job rather easily.

According to what he is saying, he has a Core 2 Duo which is faster than my 6000+. If a 6000+ and 5850 work fine for BF3 on ultra then a 650ti and a C2D would be excellent and almost overkill for Rehash Ops 2.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the input i appreciate it very much. I think i'll go and get the GTX660, the price is around $229 so not too bad. hopefully that solves my problem.

Back
Top Bottom