An Upgrade or Two? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Default An Upgrade or Two?

My current computer is one that I've had a friend throw together for me about 3 years ago. It runs everything fine, but I've recently come to a point where I can afford to spend a little on it. I'm not sure if I would just be fine with getting more RAM or if I should go ahead and pick up a newer video card or if I should spring for both. My budget at the moment is around $200, but I can definitely be patient and wait to save up to spend more.
Here's what I have:
Newegg.com - Antec P182 Gun Metal Black 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - Foxconn A79A-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBOX
Newegg.com - Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100256L Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-8500C5

I'm sorry if that's too link heavy, I'm used to a php board system and the autoparse link kind of throws me off.
__________________

Drauks is offline  
Old 11-25-2011, 11:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,352
Default Re: An Upgrade or Two?

I would say your best bet is either a:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
or
Newegg.com - MSI N560GTX Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
__________________

__________________
Please read through the thread thoroughly before responding.
Nobody wants to read a wall of text, formatting is your friend.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Roark is offline  
Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: An Upgrade or Two?

Thanks, will definitely look into that. Also, should I even worry about still having DDR2 at this point?
Drauks is offline  
Old 11-26-2011, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lord of Bacon
 
Roark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,352
Default Re: An Upgrade or Two?

I wouldn't if you're running everything fine.
Upgrading to DDR3 would require a new motherboard, CPU, and possibly a new Windows license if your current one is OEM.
__________________
Please read through the thread thoroughly before responding.
Nobody wants to read a wall of text, formatting is your friend.

i5 3570k | 8GB G.Skill 1600MHz | R9 290 | SeaSonic 750X
Roark is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To upgrade parts or to upgrade a whole new rig? Bekay523 New Systems | Building and Buying 4 07-07-2010 01:27 PM
Want to upgrade to dx10 card...should I upgrade anything? ShifterControl New Systems | Building and Buying 1 10-21-2007 05:37 PM
upgrade proccessor or upgrade ram? j12 New Systems | Building and Buying 7 11-11-2006 07:16 PM
hmm...to upgrade slightly, or to upgrade seriously? dartgande New Systems | Building and Buying 8 04-17-2006 03:36 AM
If i upgrade my processor i think i need to upgrade my power supply Too! MADWAD New Systems | Building and Buying 6 09-29-2005 01:38 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.