Upgrade touches for company computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onemorerun

Beta member
Hi, I got my hands on an old "company" computer. I'd love to put a few upgrade touches on it so that I can get a good year or two use out of it. However, after my initial research I am still unsure of where those upgrades should be.

Now I am not a power user and know that this computer is not and never will be a "power" computer. Today, I have loaded Windows 7 and Office 2007. It seems to be running fine. Or at least all the applications open and close : ) .

The specs are Pentium 4, 1 gig of RAM, and a 80 Gig hard drive. Not so great, I know!

This is the compuer: IBM ThinkCentre M50 8189 ( 818958U ) - Intel Pentium 4 - IBM Desktop

Ths is the Mother Board: Lenovo Support & downloads - System board diagram - ThinkCentre A50p, M50

It says that it can handle up to 4 gigs of RAM. I'd like to at least upgrade it to 2 gigs for now. However, I am unclear (per TigerDirect) is it SDRAM or DDR as listed under types of RAM I should be using? Or can I just use either? Tigerdirect link: Memory Guided Search at TigerDirect.com

I would also like to add a second hard drive....however, the current HD is mounted vertically along the front of the computer, which I find a little odd. Is there room for a second hard drive? Can you tell from the motherboard link?

Also, I am o.k. with going with the Pentium 4. However, I was wondering if this motherboard supported any of the lower end dual cores. I was looking at the specs but couldn't tell.

Any help is appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom