Upgrade to ssd on lga775 board

dude112

In Runtime
Hello, I know a similar question has been asked a few threads below but I didn't want to hijack the thread.

I've got the q6600 with ds3l mobo (see sig). It's got sataII if I'm not mistaken.

In the other thread the OCZ vertex2 was recommended. Will the kingston ssdnow v200 work just as well? It's only €61 for 128gb. It's sataIII but should be backward compatible with sataII right?

Hello, I know a similar question has been asked a few threads below but I didn't want to hijack the thread.

I've got the q6600 with ds3l mobo (see sig). It's got sataII if I'm not mistaken.

In the other thread the OCZ vertex2 was recommended. Will the kingston ssdnow v200 work just as well? It's only €61 for 128gb. It's sataIII but should be backward compatible with sataII right?
You can run any SSD you want on any board. The drive will just run at the speeds the slots are capable of on the board.

That is reassuring. The kingston it is.

Is a clean install recommended or will cloning my c drive on the ssd work just as well?

That is reassuring. The kingston it is.

Is a clean install recommended or will cloning my c drive on the ssd work just as well?
You can clone, but a clean install is always best when going from HDD to SSD.
If you decide to clone, then I suggest looking up the guide CarnageX made to enable AHCI while maintaining your old install.

Cloning would have my preference. Not really wanting to reinstall all...
Am currently on vacation but will be back in a few days. Will check if it's set to AHCI. Is it likely that it's already set as AHCI?

You can clone, but a clean install is always best when going from HDD to SSD.
If you decide to clone, then I suggest looking up the guide CarnageX made to enable AHCI while maintaining your old install.

I made a guide? Lol I don't remember making one.

If you do clone, make sure the partition(s) are smaller than the side of the SSD. Then you can run CloneZilla; I HIGHLY recommend doing a disk to image, and then an image to disk clone. It takes longer... but it's safer. I tried doing a disk-to-disk clone from HDD to SSD on my friend's laptop... needless to say I spent about 12+ hours trying to get his original HDD to boot because something went wrong during the clone and it affected his original drive.

After you clone though, if you're on Windows 7, run a chkdsk c: /b

The /b switch was made after Win7 for cloning drives; it resets the badsector flags, and re-scans the drive.

Back
Top Bottom