Upgrade or sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackhydra866

Baseband Member
Hello everyone, i've recently acquired a new PC here. It's a PC I built in my networking class and well.. it was free pretty much. It runs fairly solid and i'd like to use it for some light gaming, but I do want it to run very fast and responsive.

However it only has 256MB of RAM and I do want to upgrade to 2GB or possibly 4GB but i'm not sure if it's even worth it with the processor I have. The processor is the same speed as my laptop and that can run some games fairly well. I ran a test at crucial and it gave me this:

.. said:
* Maximum Memory Capacity: 8192 MB
* Currently Installed Memory: 256 MB
* Available Memory Slots: 1
* Number of Banks: 2
* Dual Channel Support: N.A.
* CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
* CPU Family: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+ Model 12, Stepping 2
* CPU Speed: 1800 MHz

So basically i'm wondering should I just sell the whole computer and invest in a better processor and overall parts, or would upgrading the RAM be sufficient?

My specs

If you plan on gaming I would go with a new system. At this point dual cores are very affordable and offer allot better performance. I went from a Sepron 3100+ to an Intel E2180 and the difference was huge.

What do you mean by light gaming?

My computer is a celeron 1.88GHz with 2.5GB RAM, and a radeon HD 2600 PRO and I can play Oblivion (sceenshot, not from my game but it is what It looks like on my computer and I wouldn't consider it to be "light gaming") on very high with decent FPS. If you can bump up the speed of your CPU, Get at least 1GB of memory, and a decent video card you should be fine for light gaming, but if it costs too much you would be better off just buying a new computer.

What do you mean by light gaming?

My computer is a celeron 1.88GHz with 2.5GB RAM, and a radeon HD 2600 PRO and I can play Oblivion (sceenshot, not from my game but it is what It looks like on my computer and I wouldn't consider it to be "light gaming") on very high with decent FPS. If you can bump up the speed of your CPU, Get at least 1GB of memory, and a decent video card you should be fine for light gaming, but if it costs too much you would be better off just buying a new computer.

I mean games like Warcraft III, StarCraft, Dawn of War, Silkroad, ones that don't exactly require a crazy good computer and you can mess with the settings.

I'm considering building a computer around this processor. Any tips?

if you upgrade your RAM and video card you should be fine for most of those games. But your card being AGP it will cost more. Here are two very similar cards that the major difference is price and one is PCIe and the other is AGP.

PCIe Cost: Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H260PRQT512DDN-R Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

AGP Cost: Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H26PQT512ANP Radeon HD 2600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

But it would be a very good Idea to just get a new computer because AGP costs too much (and is a lot slower then PCIe/PCIe 2.0) and lots of programs are made for 2+ cores.

You can get a decent system for about $500-$600 maybe less. Also right now Intel is making better CPU's then AMD.

My budget is actually around the $500-$600 mark. Puddle Jumper, I have a feeling that CPU might not be fast enough, and I have no idea how to overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom