upgrade in Ram messed up my computer.. what do i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

breathofvitalit

Solid State Member
Hi Everyone,

I'm not a big techy or anything, but my husband is learning. I bought him a 256 ddr Ram which is what he already had in his computer. It was built by laboratory computers in Vegas. We took the box off and he tried to fit the ram into the slot but couldnt. He ended up pulling out the old ram just to compare and make sure that everything was the same. When we realized it was I offered to put them both back in myself. The old one was easy and the new one just took some pressure. He was afraid to break it and my fingers are smaller so I did it.

Well, it worked and the computer recognizes it.. BUT, all the fonts were messed up when we rebooted. After he tried a few things to get them back he decided to just wipe the hard drive and start over. He installed OS XP Pro with SP2. He had errors when installing which asked him to retry, ignore or abort. He retried it, but had several of those .sys errors while doing so.

It boots, but had problems. He said.. that the system crashes and restarts on its own as a default. he gets a stop error .sys and asks him to upgrade his bios or check new installations. he went into the bios and made it to the "best performance" and disabled bios caching.

So, we don't know what is going on and can't find anything about it. Can someone help? He's trying to reinstall the OS again, but it might not work. Thanks

Take the new stick of RAM back to the store, and look at the motherboard manufacture website to see what types of RAM are compatible with his system. when you go out to buy a new stick of RAM, make sure its on the compatibility list.

It's the same type of ram and the computer guy said it would work. I specifically called the man who put it together for us. Everything fits and the computer recognizes it. I bought the RAM from the man who built it. So, I don't think that could be the reason for the problems. How could something that's already there not work? it's identical and it fits into the ports

there are a number of ways to go about repairing the problem you have right now, but the what you could have done the first time you installed the ram was to just change the resolution by right clicking on an empty windows area and got to settings. the video drivers may have been reset after you took out the ram, you also need to make sure you do this powering off the computer and pulling out the power cable, AND also holding down the power buttons for 5-510 seconds to fully discharge all the voltage still left running in the motherboard. that is probably what may have killed the motherboard now.

So, we may have fried the mother board? He's reinstalling Xp now and it gave a message..

Setup cannot copy the file: mdwmdmsp.dll

i looked it up online and it looks like i can down load that driver

he said there were other files that might be missing.. so when that comes up.. i'll write them down too...

it would suck if we fried the mother board just from putting in new ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom