Specs:
ASUS SK8N Motherboard
AMD FX51 64-bit 2.2Ghz
512mbx2 Corsair
80GB Primary Hard Drive - EIDE
200GB Secondary hard drive - SATA I <--failing
ATI 9800xt 256mb vcard
Creative Audigy 7.1

My second hard drive is failing and I'm thinking about getting a new one, I don't know though if I should stick with SATA, since I will be using it as my second hard drive. I think EIDE would be cheaper? but would that make any difference running games, etc.?

Also, what other upgrades could I think about? or should I forget the upgrades and start saving up for a new computer?

Thanks!

Right now, you won't notice anything between SATA150 and ATA100-IDE, what matters is the cache size and RPM. Just go with an IDE and you should be fine. Pick a nice 7200RPM, 16Mb cache size.

I would say, start saving up for a new computer. Theres going to be a lot of new processors soon.

SATA is not that much more than IDE. Maybe $5-10...but I'd say stick with SATA. It's the current tech for hard drives.

edit: Or what Law said. IDE is fine still. I just like SATAs better because the wires are less of a clutter.

Only time you would pick a SATA150 over IDE is ease of installation, better air flow and no Master/Slave setting. Remember SATA300 still have jumper setting but these are use for backward compatibility with SATA150 MB.

And should I go for ATA100 or 133? not quite sure if my mobo supports 133.

AND, I want a higher capacity hard drive but they are all mostly seagate! I've had a terrible experience with a seagate external hard drive... I'm kind of reluctant to give them more money.

Also, with my current hard drive, the BIOS wouldn't detect the hard drive, I would always have to instal windows, then use mobo drivers to get it detected. I'm not sure if I like that too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom