upgrade for photo editing - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

it seems it runs at 1.65v as standard, i have pulled this off someones review of it is this ok? they say this is at the "top end" i wont be overclocking the ram
__________________

06Skywalker is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

Yea that is fine.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

this is getting expensive but i am also considering a new graphics card, on nvidea website the gtx 480 seems to out perform the gtx 560 i can can get either on ebay for about the same price if i buy a secondhand gtx 480, its probebly a silly question but would it be better to go for 480 or the 560?

sorry i have so many questions

your help is really appreciated

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desk...60/performance
06Skywalker is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Skywalker View Post
this is getting expensive but i am also considering a new graphics card, on nvidea website the gtx 480 seems to out perform the gtx 560 i can can get either on ebay for about the same price if i buy a secondhand gtx 480, its probebly a silly question but would it be better to go for 480 or the 560?

sorry i have so many questions

your help is really appreciated
Don't worry about a ton of questions. That is what these forums are for and you give me something to do!

The reason I try to steer people away from the 480 is because it is a furnace. If you are ok with this and can get one for a good price then by all means a 480 would be a ton better than dual 4850s.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

hmm ok, this is the 480 Point of View Nvidia GTX 480 1536MB (GTX480) | eBay

this is the 560 eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

when you say a furnace? i have a large case fan on the sides, with case fan on front and back

is the card so hot its known for failure?

EDIT : is gainward a good card manurfacture, theres a 480 ending in 40 mins currently at 114 pounds so i may bid? i havnt heard of gainward
06Skywalker is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Skywalker View Post
hmm ok, this is the 480 Point of View Nvidia GTX 480 1536MB (GTX480) | eBay

this is the 560 eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

when you say a furnace? i have a large case fan on the sides, with case fan on front and back

is the card so hot its known for failure?
The 480 will for sure be faster than a vanilla 560.
The chip is a hot chip. Since this is way past release it shouldn't have any problems at all with the fan ramp. When they first came out the early models had a fan ramp problem in the bios that caused the fan to spin up to late and it would overheat and throttle. Since it has been a few years the chances of you actually getting one of these cards new is slim to none. If you have sufficient air flow then the 480 would be more performance.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The 480 will for sure be faster than a vanilla 560.
The chip is a hot chip. Since this is way past release it shouldn't have any problems at all with the fan ramp. When they first came out the early models had a fan ramp problem in the bios that caused the fan to spin up to late and it would overheat and throttle. Since it has been a few years the chances of you actually getting one of these cards new is slim to none. If you have sufficient air flow then the 480 would be more performance.

well i now own a 480, lol hopefully there will be no heat issues

so with this new card do you think i will require a larger PSU now?
06Skywalker is offline  
Old 05-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,296
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06Skywalker View Post
well i now own a 480, lol hopefully there will be no heat issues

so with this new card do you think i will require a larger PSU now?
Minimum recommended for a 480 is 600w. Since it can take up to 300w by itself sometimes then I would look at investing into a 650w.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 AM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

ok update guys, i built the beast and runs like a dream, unfortunetely, i have received my gfx 480 and it randomly spits out white lines on the screen, occassionally its fine but then its bad again, it did this the first time i switched on, (even in bios), i have ensured the psu works and my old g card works fine in the pci slot that the gfx 480 is in.
im goin to return to sender as this has put me off a second hand card.

the question now is do i get a radeon 2gig HD6970 for 200 or two radeon 1 gig HD6850 for 200 and cross fire them? i am upping my budget to get new card/cards rather than second hand but 200 is the limit,

btw, 2 hd6950 in my case would fit but it would be tight ish.

My motherboard is a ASUS P8Z68-v lx

http://ie.asus.com/Motherboards/Inte...155/P8Z68V_LX/

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (blue) *1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) *1

im not sure what speed the pci slots will run if i use cross fire? 16x and 4x maybe ?????? will this affect anything speed wise?


EDIT: im going to do a furmark test on the card shortly, i thought furmark had a stability test but i cant see the option for that?

i also here 16x and 4x can cause problems? maybe one card will be better for reliability and less heat?
06Skywalker is offline  
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 113
Default Re: upgrade for photo editing

sorry for double post but furmark did this upon start up "Could not initialize ZoomGPU FurMark startup failed.Bye"

EDIT: - im also getting some bad readings from gpu-z i believe?? no gpu clock speed? no memory? no opencl ect ect the list goes on, please see here

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/05/12/5uu.png
__________________

06Skywalker is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Time for a system build upgrade - HD video and photo editing rig garykf16 New Systems | Building and Buying 6 05-23-2011 01:57 PM
photo editing? scroudt Microsoft Windows and Software 4 10-10-2010 08:14 AM
Monitor for photo editing corei5 New Systems | Building and Buying 3 09-30-2010 12:31 AM
New Build for photo editing walkngdude New Systems | Building and Buying 6 11-27-2009 12:23 PM
photo editing computer ben_1001 Overclocking and Modding 4 08-04-2005 08:00 AM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.