Upgrade path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recluse

Beta member
Hey all. I've got a fairly old computer, yet it has held up really well for me so far.

Radeon 9700 Pro
AMD Athlon XP 2600
Antec TruBlue 400W PS
2x512 OCZ PC2700
K7N2 Delta
250GB Maxtor IDE HD

I was hoping to move up to a good gaming computer, something that'll get me little stutter on the higher graphic options in Battlefield 2, Half-Life 2, Doom 3, or X3: Reunion. I'm trying to move slow, but I'm not opposed to getting something that will benefit me more in the long run.

That said, here's what I was thinking to start with and I'd appreciate any and all comments:

Radeon 9700 Pro (Keep it until I could get a better PCIe)
AMD 64 3700+ San Diego (Too much?)
Antec TruBlue 400W PS (See little reason to get rid of this)
2x512 OCZ PC2700 (Saw that this isn't such a bad idea in Dual Channel. Correct?)
ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 Socket 939 ULi M1695 ATX AMD (Hopefully this will last.)
250GB Maxtor IDE HD (Don't know if its worth it to go to SATA.)

Mouse, keyboard, sound card, case and optical drives are all still good, so I'll just transfer those. Any recommendations, tips, or warnings that can keep this going as long as I've had my other setup?

Nice board, but it looks like it may be too feature heavy for what I need. I definately didn't want to go with SLi originally, and I've not heard of this Crossfire before, but I wouldn't imagine it'd do any better than nVidia's attempt.

Edit: My bad, I did a google search for just DFI Lanparty board, and the first link it gave me was this monster board, which I was referring to:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2572

I see now they offer different chipsets and the like. Any specific board you'd recommend?

to be honest, I'd just get an Athlon XP 3000 socket A processor. Get a nice heatsink and overclock it a little bit. Buy yourself a nice video card like a 6800 series, and call it good. There's no need to build a new rig when you still have one that can get the job done. Like you said, you intended on upgrading, not rebuilding.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom