Upgrade or not? Low Profile Card 25-30 USD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2014, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Upgrade or not? Low Profile Card 25-30 USD

Shalom everyone.

I have two desktops which I am considering upgrading with low profile Graphics cards.

One is a Dell Inspiron 530 (500w PSU) with 2 GB ddr2 667mhz, a core 2 duo e4500 2.2 ghz runnign PUPPY LINUX PRECISE. It has a 1600x900 19 inch monitor. My severely autistic sister uses this computer and she only downloads pictures, views pictures, and watches lots of streamed videos on youtube and other websites. She tends to open far too many tabs at once, which is one of the reasons i put her on puppy linux which only uses 33 mb of ram idling.

the other is an HP Pavillion with a 300w stock PSU, 6 GB ddr2 800 mhz, an athlon ii x4 620 2.66 ghz. it has a built in nividia geforce 9100.

WHat am wondering is if it is worth it to put in a low profile graphics card on either of these computers. On the first computer, would doing so reduce the strain on the processor? SHe does not play games. I do play games including beefy ones but I am just going to eventually replace a gaming laptop I have which has problems with a better and cheaper desktop, maybe a few years from now. If I do put in a low profile card in either, naturally i'm looking for as cheap as humanly possible. I might like to play games like Crusader Kings II or Shogun II total war on this computer, But i'll be fine if I can't. Basically my budget is about 25-30 dollars (including shipping). No ebay, but any firm that accepts an amex gift card in the US/Canada.

Big Yehudah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Build Guru

Default Re: Upgrade or not? Low Profile Card 25-30 USD

You'll need a bit more cash to really do anything for the HP. The Dell should be fine on its own. If anything you could put more RAM in it.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Are you sure? I ordered but then cancelled a powercolor radeon HD 5450 on amazon because I had second thoughts. it was 20 used with 5 for shipping so it was within budget. I'm not looking to do heavy gaming. I'm concerned with an HDMI slot and maybe playing some strategy games that are not resource intensive or total war on low settings.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru

THe 5450 is going to be just slightly better than the 9100. Those low end cards are simply meant to put video on a screen and really nothing else.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
THe 5450 is going to be just slightly better than the 9100. Those low end cards are simply meant to put video on a screen and really nothing else.
Okay thanks.