In Runtime
Hi. Here are my current specs:

Motherboard: ASRock P4VT8+ (Socket 478)
CPU: Intel Celeron 2.2 GHz
RAM: 512 DDR RAM
HD: 80 GB
GFX Card: ATI Radeon 9550
PSU: Some shoddy 450w thingy.

I've had this computer for a couple of years now, and it really is awful. It doesn't get even get max FPS on CS/TFC/DOD/Natural Selection. Infact, on DoD and NS it's unplayable and on CS, I get 50 fps if I'm lucky. I also tried HL2 but it was like watching a slideshow, it was terrible.

I don't need a top-spec computer to run all games flawlessly, all I would like is a computer that can run CS at 100 fps, would be able to play Half-Life 2/CS:S and also able to play Battlefield 2 on Low/Medium settings without significant slowdown.

Should I bother upgrading? or am I best just building a new one? I don't know what are good parts or what are bad these days but I think I'd need to buy a new PSU if I was to build a new one (I got a feeling mine is dying)

Thanks for your time :)

It's best to buy a new system, and you can build a pretty decent one for $400-500.

Thanks. I don't think I need to spend that much though, I only plan on playing HL2 standard games.

Hmm, not a lot. About £200. I'm guessing I just need a new Mobo/CPU/PSU/GFX Card with that. The cheaper the better.

In that case, I recommend an ATI Radeon 9800 or above. I remember my 9800 working flawlessly with HL2. Also, bump your ram to 1GB.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/500-budget-148917/
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/newb-here-need-some-wisdom-147611/index4.html

it has a budget $500/$850 computer, might look at the parts suggested there. You don't especially need everything like he wanted. but the parts are not bad reccos.

I know the total prices are slightly and almost double your budget, but with the $850 one, he is getting pretty much everything, (including a $200 screen) so piece out what looks good and it will be a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom