upgrade my desktop PC question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtoys2000

Beta member
can I just upgrade my desktop only change the motherboard, CPU, memory only. I want to keep the case and harddrive and DVD rom. Also, can I keep using the exiting windows OS and all file in my old harddrive ? will the old window XP in my old harddrive find the new hardward ?

Hope someone can help
thanks everybody. ;)

eBuyerStore.com

Yes you will be able to use your old case, hard drive and DVD ROM, but I don't think you will be able to use your existing installation of Windows with the new parts. I'm pretty sure you will need to re-install that.

can I just upgrade my desktop only change the motherboard, CPU, memory only. I want to keep the case and harddrive and DVD rom. Also, can I keep using the exiting windows OS and all file in my old harddrive ? will the old window XP in my old harddrive find the new hardward ?

Hope someone can help
thanks everybody. ;)

eBuyerStore.com

Between XP Home and XP Pro, I only have experience with XP Pro in this type of situation. All 3 times I've done it, I've had the CD that came with the motherboard handy and simply:

1) Set a restore point
2) Made a manual backup of files and system state
3) Created an image
4) Disabled all hardware that I was about to replace through hardware manager
5) Shut Down
6) Replaced hardware
7) Booted
8) XP came up fine and asked for drivers
9) Had to reboot about 4 more times as new hardware was recognized
10) Final reboot, everything was fine. Never needed to begin a disaster recovery plan

Every other time I've done this was with SBS 2003, 2000 Server and Novel 3.11 and 3.12

Simply? Not for some of us...

Anywho, it's always best to perform a clean reinstall of windows if you replace any major parts. Just back up your files to a second harddrive, could be a second harddrive in your current pc, or in another pc, or in an external case. Then format the harddrive you will be installing windows on and install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom