Upgrade my Compaq Presario CQ5205y

Don't bother with the cache drive crap, and get at least a 64GB or save up more until you can afford one.

Stick with Corsair, Samsung, Intel, and Crucial for your SSD needs.

You don't need to buy a SATA3 one either, and SATA2 drives are typically cheaper when you can find them new.

I bought a TR2-R1 CPU fan for my new Phenom X4, but it won't spin thus no POST. The fan spins if I push the blades though, and it runs fine on my backup PC. What gives? Please help.

Last edited:
.I'm on a budget so I figure I'll get a 32gb SSD for the OS alone. Is that good? I'm interested in SanDisk's ReadyCache 32gb drive, but from what I can tell you plug it in and you're good, you don't install the OS to it...is that better?

I hope you guys have recommendations! :silent:

By the way, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and I would upgrade to Windows 8, but I only have 6gb available on my HDD. I will upgrade to a portable 1tb eventually when I have the money.

If your willing to spend about 80.00 bucks on a hard drive start out with this first:
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com

Also if your willing to go the windows 8 route read this before upgrading.

Windows 8 system requirements
If you want to run Windows 8 on your PC, here's what it takes:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2 (more info)

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Windows 8 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

I bought a TR2-R1 CPU fan for my new Phenom X4, but it won't spin thus no POST. The fan spins if I push the blades though, and it runs fine on my backup PC. What gives? Please help.
If it isn't posting then the fan won't spin depending on the fan profile setup for the CPU in the motherboard. Double check to make sure everything is hooked up properly and that the CPU actually works as well as the latest bios is on the motherboard.

The samsung 840 series offers good SSD's for the price, you should get this one(120GB)
For less you can get a 64GB SSD for $75
The guy cheaped out with a first gen Phenom X4. Don't think he has the funds for a Samsung SSD.

Well, according to This

What i don 't get is, I thought Phenoms were all AM3.

So its a bit odd.

Not really chief, if you get a chance check the amd wiki or website.
AMD has used the same socket architecture upgrade schemes for ever with supported manufacturer bioses if any. :/

What I dont get is why he didn't just op for a new am3 board and start out with athlon ii 4x or Phenom ii X4 quadcore ?
If the cpu is returnable by chance I'll look into getting him something better.

First Phenom chips were the first quad core consumer chips released on AM2+ back in the day, just like the first Phenom 2 was AM2+. More than likely somebody blew smoke up the OPs butt saying the Phenom 9650 was a great chip blah blah and gave it to him real cheap.

Still though, it's better than the Sempron he was using.

PP Mguire said:
More than likely somebody blew smoke up the OPs butt saying the Phenom 9650 was a great chip blah blah Still though, it's better than the Sempron he was using.

LOL you think so batman, but really take a look at this:
AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom

Look at the cache, I wouldn't use that for day to day use or even light gaming.
I was looking at his card, if he paired it up would be fine for the time being.
I'm about to retire my geforce gt520 from my system and sell it.
If he wants the card he can have it for 20.00 bucks flat.
Least the card will do better paired with it on some lower to medium end games on steam.
Lastly I heard the cpu can peak at 2.6ghz ?
if it can do that have him clock it up to that speed.

Last edited:
Yea but this is what he upgraded from, and tell me you wouldn't be more than satisfied with the Phenom after using a very slow single core Sempron.
AMD Sempron LE-1300 Sparta 2.3GHz Socket AM2 45W Single-Core Processor SDH1300DPBOX - Newegg.com

Cache wasn't the problem with the first batch of Phenom chips, it was IPC. Still though, on a core and IPC level it's a huge upgrade, albeit only if he paid a small amount for it.

It takes a very large cooling setup to cool an overclocked 9650.

Back
Top Bottom