upgrade as much as possible!?

rob0602uk

Solid State Member
Hi everyone,

I have just bought a pc off my brother and want to upgrade it for gaming as much as possible and maybe a bit of future-proofing at the same time. I have about £500 and system is as follows:

dell XPS420
Q6600 processor at 2.4GHz
X38 motherboard
3GB ram
450GTS 1GB graphics card
uprated power supply (not sure what exactly)
windows vista 32bit

I was thinking of getting a windows 8 64bit and increasing RAM to 8GB as a start but not sure what to do from there?

many thanks

Rob

Difficult to upgrade DELL PC's - mainly due to power supply- I do not think you can just buy any PSU and switch them out- something about a proprietary power supply- so you have to order from DELL, and Dell only- you need to confirm that as I have no actual experience with that- but had heard/read that that is the case. First, check that out and see if you can get a rated power supply in it and go from there. Without a better PSU - you will be very limited on upgrading the GPU, etc. Also at a CPU speed of 2.4 Ghz you will still be limited, not sure about overclocking on a DELL MOBO either. How old is the PC?

With the dell XPS420 s you can use any standard power supply.

Unless you need a new video card, you don't need a new one.

The lable should have the ratings which will tell you the info.

He has a 450, how does he not need one?

New PSU, Windows 7 or 8 64bit, 8GB of RAM, and a better GPU somewhere in the GTX660ti range and you will be good if you can afford all that. The CPU is still decent, but getting a tad aged for today's games.

Thanks for the help,

the PSU is already upgraded to a novatech 80 plus 500W modular

was thinking of going for 8GB of RAM and have now updated to windows 8 64bit.

If I was to get a GTX660ti would I need to up the power supply, it says 450W minimum on the nvidia website? I'm assuming the GTX660 would just fit straight in too?

Thanks

hmmm... I thought that dells were tough to change out parts? OR it is because his is a XPS versions it can be upgraded? Or has dell changed and all the Dell PC's can be upgraded now?

Certain models have proprietary parts. For instance, you can't put another board in that case and you can't put that board in another case. His PSU is just a standard ATX PSU though. Some XPS cases can accept different PSUs and boards. It just all depends on how they made it.

Back
Top Bottom