Upgrade laptop cpu i3 to i7

kouklak

Beta member
Hi,

I recently got a Packard Bell laptop as a gift and it comes with an i3 2310M, 4ghz Ram, 500gb Hard disk and a Nvidia 540M gpu. I'm very pleased with it as I can play all latest games and do several things at the same time e.g. working with a huge Java applet, listening to music, browsing the web with more than 30 tabs opened on Firefox etc. However, I want to upgrade its cpu and get an i7 and more precisely the 2670QM.

All Packard Bell Easynote TS 11HR series, no matter if they have an i3, i5 or i7 cpu, have the same bios (I have flashed mine to the latest version), and also have the same motherboard, the SJV50_HR. So here comes the hard or easy part... Will I be able to upgrade the cpu easily or are there any compatibility problems that I'm not aware of?

For instance, I'm aware of the different TDP statuses between the i3 (max TDP 35W) I currently have and the i7 (max TDP 45W) but we're talking for a mere 10 points more when it comes to i7, which I believe my laptop can handle and I'm willing to risk that. However, I'm not sure if my system is compatible with the i7 cpu when it comes to sockets and chipsets. My system has the HM65 chipset and the 988 B rPGA socket (also know as G2) and after conducting a little research on the web, some sources say that the 2670QM is for 988 A rPGA sockets (also known as G1) only and not compatible with the G2 while some others say that it is compatible with both sockets.

If that helps, according to Intel's website my current cpu has the following "package size": 37.5mm x 37.5mm *rPGA988B) AND/OR 31mm x 24mm (BGA1023), while the i7 2670's is 37.5mm x 37.5 (rPGA998).

I'm so confused... Can someone please enlighten me? Thanks in advance and please excuse my English.

Back
Top Bottom