Upgrade Graphics, or motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

95BlackGA

Fully Optimized
My graphics card died, so I've been looking at purchasing a new one. Been waiting for the 9600GSO on newegg to get back in stock. I'm still running on the OEM ECS board from my eMachines desktop. I was thinking about upgrading this instead, as the board is complete junk. If I do upgrade the board, I'll be going with either a 740-760-780 series chipset. I'll probably go with the 780 if I decide to buy a board first. What do you all suggest? Is there an Nvidia chipset that I can get for around the same price (Less than $80 shipped) that's comparable to the 780 series?

I think you'll always be better with a discrete GPU rather than running on integrated. If you're having other issues with the mobo then you might want to consider upgrading that, otherwise I would just upgrade the GPU.

I have a choice of CPUs really. The board came with a 4050e, so I bought a 7750 and couldn't install it due to TDP limits. I'm not a huge gamer, which is why I am perfectly fine with onboard video. I would like the ability to play BluRay.

I picked up a board with the 760G chipset, got a decent deal. $40 + shipping with 2GB of ram. Couldn't pass up the deal. How much better is the 780 series than the 760?

Well, the integrated graphics are a bit better, but really, a lot of 780G chipset boards support AM3 for future upgrade possibilities (most of the time after a BIOS update). The Foxconn Trotter linked you to is AM3 ready and set to go.

Better for overclocking too. :p If you care about that sort of thing.

Well, the integrated graphics are a bit better, but really, a lot of 780G chipset boards support AM3 for future upgrade possibilities (most of the time after a BIOS update). The Foxconn Trotter linked you to is AM3 ready and set to go.

Better for overclocking too. :p If you care about that sort of thing.

Don't really care about overclocking, but may get into it. If I don't like the Asus board I got, I'll try and get a board with the 790 chipset or wait for the 800 series, when I actually build a computer. I just couldn't pass up the deal, $40 + shipping (Which turned out to be $48 shipped), got an Asus M3A76-CM, and 2GB (2 x 1GB) of Samsung ram, not the greatest, but it matches my current 3GB (3 x 1GB).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom