Upgrade that comes with a Downgrade

i7man

Solid State Member
Just purchased a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB to expand the bottleneck on my current system. Being that I'm beyond busy and don't have much time, I had the IT guy at work(probably the best out of the Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems IT support team) perform the install. He went ahead and cleaned everything up and set me up with Windows 8.1. System performed great, so now to hit the benchmarks. First I hit the infamous WEI score. As expected my hard drive score jumped from a 5.9 to a 8.0, but to my surprise both my graphics score were much lower....like 4.6(intel, battery life) and 4.3(AMD performance).... I ran the driver updates and managed to bump the scores to 5.9(intel) and 5.2(AMD). Last time I checked the lowest graphics score was 5.9(intel) and 6.9(AMD). Weird right? It dawned on me; the AMD card I just updated was a 6770M, NOT the 7690M XT the computer originally came with! Did my IT guy really just switch the cards or am I crazy??? I need your input before I accuse him Monday morning.

AMD Radeon HD 6770M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor,Hewlett-Packard 17FA

Well first thing's first, WEI is ****. Don't worry about it.

Next thing up, what's the model of the PC? The 7690M XT is just a renamed 6770m btw, so more than likely it was simply the drivers changing the name.

Well first thing's first, WEI is ****. Don't worry about it.

Next thing up, what's the model of the PC? The 7690M XT is just a renamed 6770m btw, so more than likely it was simply the drivers changing the name.

+1 to this (both parts of the post). I've seen it happen with nVidia cards as well.

I highly doubt he switched mobile graphics cards around on you... I suggest manually downloading the latest driver for your GPU and installing it. AMD has a habbit of grabbing the wrong drivers lately.

It could also just be 3dmark reporting the wrong card. The way Nvidia and AMD report their cards via drivers are different. Most of the time all you get is a "Radeon 7000 series" or whatever. Instead of Nvidia specifically naming the card in each area. Another idea is the hardware ID could be the same and the only thing that was done was renaming the hardware in the INF for marketing purposes. Either way, it shouldn't make a difference as the hardware performs the same.

Can't help but wonder if you ever got to the bottom of this. On my very first rig I had someone who was supposed to help me swap processors on me. That was a very long time ago. Your post made me remember.

It could also just be 3dmark reporting the wrong card. The way Nvidia and AMD report their cards via drivers are different. Most of the time all you get is a "Radeon 7000 series" or whatever. Instead of Nvidia specifically naming the card in each area. Another idea is the hardware ID could be the same and the only thing that was done was renaming the hardware in the INF for marketing purposes. Either way, it shouldn't make a difference as the hardware performs the same.

That is true, but I have seen on a few occasions that AMD auto-download has grapped the wrong packages for the hardware in the past, though this is usually on systems that have an APU and discreet GPU.

Back
Top Bottom