Updating my computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Updating my computer

Well I wanted to update my computer a bit since it seems to be a bit lacking in the power department so I'm looking to buy some things from tigerdirect after doing my homework on them for a day or two.
To make it easier here's my current system I'm working with.
Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Compaq Presario
Enclosure Type: Desktop

2.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Not hyper-threaded Board: ASUSTek Computer INC. NAGAMI2 2.00
Bus Clock: 199 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.11 09/19/2006
Drives Memory Modules c,d
250.03 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H652L [CD-ROM drive]

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 512 MB
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A3' is Empty
Now I wanted to upgrade the PSU (Which is currently 300Watts), get a video card (I only have an integrated NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE) and upgrade the RAM.

Here are the products I'm looking to buy.
Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan

EVGA GeForce 9500 GT Video Card - 1GB DDR2, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Support, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, VGA Support
2x Transcend 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (For 3GB total)

I checked to make sure I have a PCIe slot for the video card and my motherboard uses DDR memory for it's RAM but I'm just wondering if it'll all work together. I'm still new to this so I might be missing something so obvious or something nitty gritty.

If you need anymore info on my computer I'd be glad to post it if I can.

Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast
Default Re: Updating my computer

the psu and card you picked would total $130. this psu and card would total a little less, and perform better.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Old 09-24-2009, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm still new at this and the answer is probably right in front of my eyes but, how is the 400W PSU better than the 650W psu I picked out?

Same with the graphics card, not sure what really makes some better than others.

Is it just it'll work better with my motherboard?
Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
muffin enthusiast

well i meant better really for the graphics card. take a look at this thread which is stickied at the top of this subforum.
Graphics Performance List

to give you an example, you had picked a 9500 gt, which is ranked at #50. the 3870 i suggested for you is ranked at #27. all the cards are listed according to their performance, #1 being the best, so pretty simple to figure out the rest.

as for the psu, having a higher wattage psu doesnt make it better, especially if they arent from a good brand. i dont know how good ultra psus are, but i do know that corsair is one of the best and you dont need 650w. that 400w psu i suggested will have plenty of power for your rig, its the amps that matter more than the wattage.

plus, i was trying to stay within the same amount of money you were spending on a psu and graphics card. im assuming you chose those because you have a set budget in mind. those are better options though.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the reply muffin, I wasn't doubting your computer expertise it was just curiosity.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seg Fault'n

Ultra is on the avoid list here: *READ FIRST* Power Supply Guide

Even if this is one of the Ultras that are not so bad, it is not as good as the corsair.

There are in order of increasing severity: lies, darn lies, statistics, and computer benchmarks. - diskinfo man page
"Get your money and let's go to court!" - Craig Mudie, MS
Closed Thread