Understanding the "Solid State Drive"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordkurai

Baseband Member
Solid State Drives (SSDs) are "data storage devices" for a PC. These are top of the line products. Normal Hard Drive Disks (HDDs) have a disk which holds information and has a laser arm that hovers just high enough above the disk to fit a piece of paper between. The hard drive disk has a section within called "Cache". Cache is (lets just call it) the ready section for data. The arm in a hard drive finds the files needed on the disk and puts it in the cache which is then used buy the RAM. The common problem with computers today, in the speed category, is the HDD because it has to be fast enough to "find the files, put the files together in the cache, then go to be used by the RAM". It doesn't matter how much RAM you have if you HDD can't run the same speed to run the RAMs full speed capacity.

However, SSDs eliminate this problem completely. The SSDs are COMPLETELY CACHE thusly, the files on you computer go directly to the RAM to be used, and therefore your computer runs at 100% of it's speed capacity the only possible slow down would be from your RAM or Processor (CPU) which won't be a problem if you have at least a dual core processor and 1GB of DDR2 RAM (1GB of DDR2 RAM and dual core processors are standard and thusly have no need to be worried about when buying PCs) (ALSO if you have a VISTA OS 2GBs of RAM would be needed (you need at least 1 GB to run "Vista OS" properly)).

"To sum it up":
HDDs are the fat kids trying to run to the finish line, and the SSDs are the muscular men at the end of the line before the race even starts.

"Not to Mention":

SSDs are much more durable, and last much longer than any other drive, run much cooler than HDDs (there are no moving parts), and survive in much higher temperatures.

"The only bad":
After the MANY years of use When the SSD Finally goes dead, there is no way of getting your files back, it's DEAD. However, HDDs can be taken out and put in a machine to retrieve files. (but thats why we have back up files right?)

PLEASE MAKE THIS A STICKY!!!

You forgot to mention the overpriced tag on these SSDs.

If you want this stickied, you need to do some editing. There are many grammar and spelling mistakes in your explanation.

I'd like to see this stickied. Although I'd like to see a price comparison between a top of the line HDD and SSD.

I'd like to see this stickied. Although I'd like to see a price comparison between a top of the line HDD and SSD.

yeah so would i, i stumbled on to these SSD a year or so ago with the tech explained and prices ect. but i went and lost the link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom