uh oh...will my monitor cramp my system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazy_coyote

Solid State Member
I'm getting a new system with 2x 7800 GTs and 2GB RAM, also Athlon 4000+, and it's supposed to run half life really well at 1600x1200 with 4x antialising and 8x anioscopic filtering...and this sounded really cool, until i realized my monitor only goes up to 1280x1024.

My monitor is a 17" SyncMaster 173T, and i bought it about two years ago, but the thing is now i think i might have to get a new 19" monitor just so i can run things at 1600x1200. It'll cost a lot more than i expected.

What do you think? Should I get a new monitor to experience the higher resolution, or should i keep it down at 1280x1024, where i can get 16x and 8x on all those other settings? I was thinking that after a couple years the system would get older, and i wouldn't be able to run 1600x1200 anyway...or maybe i will...please tell me whether it would be worth it.

thanks,
dan

I agree about the CRT...If you really want a great quality monitor, get a CRT. Except a 19" is really big and bulky...

that's the thing, i don't have a ton of room on my (physical) desktop, so a CRT monitor might be hard. Although it is supposed to have better quality colors. I'm still not that sure though, eventually games will be good enough that they'll need to be at 1600x1200 to look their best...(right?)

i dont think thats really cramping it. As long as you run your games at 1280x1024 with all the AA and AF turned up you wont really notice the difference.

Games already look their best at 1600x1200. Just to correct some things, LCDs show better colors, but CRTs can get higher resolutions and their response times are faster. LCDs are fine in the response times, because you don't see ghosting at 8ms or lower.

Just get a LCD dude. Colors are awesome, no ghosting, and 1280x1024 is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom