Two diffrent types of ram in my mobo? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Two diffrent types of ram in my mobo?

I'm pretty green when it comes to building PCs, I just built my first one this weekend and it seems to work (knock on wood!). I would like to install more ram; I have a dual channel mobo that uses DDR3 chips. I have 2 1 gig chips in the first channel, can I put two 2 gig chips in the other? They are of a different brand, will that make a difference? Thanks!

Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Two diffrent types of ram in my mobo?

As long as they are compatible they will run, but whatever one is the slowest all of them will end up running at that speed.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Default Re: Two diffrent types of ram in my mobo?

It will work, but I think the best setup is to equal the channels. Rather than putting 2x2GB on one channel and 2x1GB on the other, put 1 of each per channel. I think this would help the dual channel memory controller but I'm not sure. That's how I'd set it up anyways. If your board has 2 colors of memory slots this usually means that each pair of colored slots is one channel. Put your 2GB's in one color and put the 1GB's in the other.

Closed Thread