trying to remeber ... AM2 or 939 cheaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerodayATK

Daemon Poster
i dont remember if AM2 is cheaper or 939.. i always get confused bc i thought when pcie went big agp would go wayyy down but its not ,bc its old tech ... ahh! thanks in advance, TyYk

EDIT : talking about total system builds would an am2 be cheaper... and then with a processor.. would AM2 be cheaper?

The difference between am2 and 939 is ddr2. Id go with the conroes if you were going to get on the ddr2 band wagon.

gigabyte ds3 - $144
e6300 - $181
some ddr2 800 g.skill ram - $220

But am2 would cost about the same but you will see better preformance with the e6300 compared to like a x2 4600 setup.

There are 939 dual cores if thats what you have (your sig is too small for me to see what you have).

only if he overclocks, bear in mind please. i just like pointing that out, not everyone on the forum does overclock. though with a c2d it would be a shame.
that stock 6300 will live in the same neighborhood as my 4200.

tell us what you have yoyo so we can help you.
typically s939 is cheaper, depends on which cpu you pick.
just off the top of my head, you probably have a s939 rig. in which case it would be cheaper for you to buy a s939 cpu. if you overclock, opteron 165. if you don't, i'll have to think about it. probably an x2 4200, but you will probably have to buy oem (at least from newegg).

yeah i would be ocing... i have a 939 mobo right now... but its agp YUCK! so i was planning on getting a cpu now and a new mobo later around bday/ job start time.... so yeah i was just messing around on newegg looking at sytem builds and my options ... thanks for the help guys, TyYk

yeah...you could get a dual core 939 cpu now and get a different 939 mobo (like a dfi lan party) w/ pci-e later. That would work and you could get a mid range dx10 card later too and you should be set for vista if you wanted to. Oh and you need at least 2 gb of ram though fo vista. I can't see you sig so i don't know how much you already have.

i have 512 but i prolly wont go to vista for a while... yeah that was my plan getting an opty now... and then 2 gb and then a new mobo ... new card.... and ta DA! new rig .. all in chunks so it dosnt look like i spent sooo much :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom