trying to reconstruct a failed computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your best of just building a new rig.
I would say 600 and you would be doing great.
just get like a e5200 for your cpu, and 8800gt for graphics, 2gb of ram... well I will give you links if you would like.

There is an edit button so try not to multi post when you need to add things to your previous post. Just answered the perfect rig for you in this thread
http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/upgrading-amd-x2-intel-core-188078/#post1482705
Mobo :p5N
Ram: Gskill 800mhz 4gb <--- only 2gb would be needed if running xp
Cpu:E8500 C2D
Heatsink for overclocking
either Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks or Newegg.com - Tuniq Tower 120 Universal CPU Cooler 120mm Cooling Fan and Fan Controller/Heatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

My bad about the multi-post. I just want to make sure to address each persons post. I'll check out that link then.

I made a mistake on the thread I linked to you can save $20 by getting the E8400 and overclocking to an E8600 speed providing you get a good heatsink such as the TT120extreme. With 4gb you will need a 64bit OS I would recommend Vista Home premium OEM. The antec 900 is a good case and loved by many.

you can use your old IDE drives but new mb's only support 2 IDE devices, so that would mean only 1 HD and one disk drive. Everthing has gone to SATA drives.

Dauntae

Well crap. Let me find out what drives I have. Do you know from the MoBo that they're IDE or are you just assuming cause it's an old comp?

I'm not sure how much overclocking I'll be doing. I might try it. What are the cons of it?

Oh and the deactivated items that I listed are parts that I already have that are brand new and used minimally. I'm sure I'll upgrade them when I'm able to but I want to get a little use out of them so it's not a total waste of money.

Ok here are my drives and other stuff

HD: Maxtor DiamondMax 21 STM380215AS 80GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Floppy: SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model MPF920 Black

If those are still fine I'll just use those.

I can replace the DVDR no problem. So what do you guys recommend for one of those?

If you have 500 bucks to spend, you can pretty much get a whole new computer, and a good one at that. What parts do you already have though that you are willing to keep? To be honest, a 7600GT won't really cut it in modern games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom