Trying to provide additional power for graphics card with additional power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

stainer711

In Runtime
I just recently got a dell, and it does not have a large enough power supply to run the graphics card i got, which is a 256 mb geforce 7800 card. The card has a power adapter on it, and so i am thinking i can hook it up to an external power source to provide the needed power. I cannot replace the current psu due to it being an unupgradable dell. Is there anything i can do to provide the extra power to my card? My pc only has 305 wats of power. I plan only to use the additional power for my card. Any suggestions that are noob friendly are appreciated.

yeahman, just get an external psu, which is basically a normal psu. I have to admit that this is gonna look kinda stupid, but as long as you're enjoying your gaming. Just keep the lid on your pc open and have the psu sitting right outside of it, so basically, two psu providing power to your computer. I can't see why your psu can't be replaced though. Can't you just unscrew it? If Dell really made it that hard to upgrade the psu, that's pretty ****ed up.

Can you help me out in finding a place to get one? I can't find anywhere that sells them. I am guessing that external psu's are the same as internal ones, and in that case i know where to get them. Couldn't i just extend a long cord out through the back of the pc through a slot where an ethernet card goes so that i don't have to keep the case open? I also need instructions like a tutorial or something because i don't want to fry something. So basically i will have the junky power supply powering everything. The only thing the external power supply will be powering is the graphics card through an adapter. My graphics card is this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139175

Will the power supply overload the circuitry or anything? The graphics card will be connected to the motherboard that is powered by the old psu, so i don't know how that will affect anything. I am planning on just plugging the card into the psu with the adapter and that is all. Is any tinkering with settings needed or will the power source just give the power that is needed? Suggestions on good, quiet (important due to being on outside of unit) cards found on newegg appreciated.

I know that most new ones need to be plugged into the pc's motherboard to turn on, but isn't it possible to get one that does not need to be so that i can simply run a cable out through a hole in the case?

Alright. I have been informed with some new information. Since i do not want to have my case open and want the power source to be turned on independently, I have to get an atx power supply and install a switch. The only thing is that i cannot solder and need to get one with the wires preinstalled. Also, what wattage should my power supply be just to run the graphics card?

Why is your Dell PSU unupgradable, Is it a funny size or does it have dell specific power? Are you sure Dell doesn't sell a upgrade PSU for your PC?

I don't know if you can use 2 PSUs in one PC but I do know If you connect the green wire from a ATX PSU mainplug to any black(ground) wire (from the same PSU) it will turn on your PSU without being connected to the mobo.

You can buy wire connectors so you won't have to solder any thing.
HOMEPageGraphic2GIF600_95pt.gif

I recommend trying 2 PSUs as a last option:confused:

Well, i have not had any problems as of yet with my graphics card hooked up to the computer so i may not do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom