Trying to buy a new graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon1

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm just wondering if my computer would be able to handle this graphics card.

PNY - NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX OC 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express Graphics Card - VCG98GTXXPB-OC

I recently realized that my computer will need a certain number of watts to make it able to handle the graphics card. Here are my comp specs.

Dell Dimension 2400
512MB Ram
Nvidia Geforce 6200

Yeah, thats pretty much all the information I have. Sorry if its not enough.

Also, if I got that graphics card, do you think I'd be able to run L4D?

Pretty sure your main problem is not so much going to be the PSU, but the connector. Positive your Dell uses AGP, while that video card is PCI-E. You don't have a lot of options when it comes to upgrading that thing. You may want to save your money to build a whole new machine. Building a new machine that's an upgrade from what you have now isn't hard to do on a tight budget.

How much do you think a decent comp would be that would be able to handle games like Left 4 Dead, CS:Source, ect. I know my computer can handle WoW and source already but not really most high-top games.

Well, it'd be easier to give me a budget to work within. What's the max you can spend on something?

$700-$800. But if theres like a comp like $850 you can show me that too. Just nothing to much over those prices.

$850 is quite a bit to work with, this is what i could put together.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (2 of these)
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Pioneer Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 40X CD-R 32X CD-RW 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner LabelFlash Support - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - Scythe SY1225SL12M 120mm "Slipstream" Case Fan - Case Fans (2 of these)

total is $839 + $30 shipping (with $20 back from the rebates)

it might be a bit overboard, but it would easily max out pretty much any game. if you wanna lower the price. you can just get one 4870, which is still good, and it will lower the price by about $135.

the pc p&c psu will easily handle those cards, and i included two more fans that don't come with the case to put in the front if you decide to get both cards. if you go with just one card, you could probably go without the two extra fans.

just another build for you to think about :)

It is an ok build but not for the cost. crappy psu and only a 9800gt gpu. I cannot tell what mb they are using but it only has 2 ram slots and they are all used so it has to be lower end.

Either of the above 2 builds would own that prebuilt.

For ease on the Muffin build I would look at a single 4890 versus xfire 4870's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom