Is this true? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Is this true?

Other day i was talking to my cousin and telling him I wanna spend 500-700$ on an ok gaming desktop and he said it'd be better if i buy dells newest laptop and replae the graphic card and add memory and sound card after i buy it.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Is this true?

no. i read you cant replace gpu's in laptops. and even if you could youd still be spending more money doing so by replacing everything you listed.. just build your own, itd be funner to

8 Gigs G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3
CM Storm Scout Tower
(1) 500 GB HD, (1) 300 GB HD
XFX GT240
Corsair CX500

Like my Sig?
I'll make ya one ;)
Old 06-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

It's extremely rare that you can replace a GPU on a laptop. Most laptop GPU are part of the motherboard. From time to time, you might have some laptop where there is a mini PCI slot where you can put in a GPU. However trying to find a suitable GPU by itself is going to be extremely hard to impossible. If you want a gaming laptop, get one with a good video chipset in the first place.

As for sound, I do not that Creative Labs have released USB, PCMCIA and Express Card Sound Cards. Problem is that it does mean that you have a this seperate card or some ports that are going to be sticking outside of the laptop.

Moving thread to Laptop Section.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 06-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy View Post
no. i read you cant replace gpu's in laptops. and even if you could youd still be spending more money doing so by replacing everything you listed.. just build your own, itd be funner to
That's what I thought you can't replace them. Very true about fun part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyboard Cowboy View Post
It's extremely rare that you can replace a GPU on a laptop. Most laptop GPU are part of the motherboard. From time to time, you might have some laptop where there is a mini PCI slot where you can put in a GPU. However trying to find a suitable GPU by itself is going to be extremely hard to impossible. If you want a gaming laptop, get one with a good video chipset in the first place.

As for sound, I do not that Creative Labs have released USB, PCMCIA and Express Card Sound Cards. Problem is that it does mean that you have a this seperate card or some ports that are going to be sticking outside of the laptop.

Moving thread to Laptop Section.
My cousin must be on something then lol. You can use usb ports for the sound? that's cool if you can but it wouldn't look good if it's gonna stick outside.. it's called a laptop for a reason lol. And sorry about posting in the wrong section
Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

Yea, definitely stick with building a desktop. You won't be able to get a laptop that can do what a desktop can do for the same price generally. Put a build list together in one of the other sections and we can help you out.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicity_27 View Post
Yea, definitely stick with building a desktop. You won't be able to get a laptop that can do what a desktop can do for the same price generally. Put a build list together in one of the other sections and we can help you out.
First I gotta see if i can sell my current laptop and thanks for offering the help . I'm still learning so it might be a while for me :laughing:
Old 06-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

I think I was here for about 2 or 3 years before I built my first computer. Not because of lack of knowledge or help, but because of lack of funds, heh
Old 06-09-2009, 11:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicity_27 View Post
I think I was here for about 2 or 3 years before I built my first computer. Not because of lack of knowledge or help, but because of lack of funds, heh
In my case, it's both atm :P.

My cousin just told me he meant dell desktops not laptops lol
Old 06-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

Still a bad choice. Definitely save up and build your own instead of attempting to upgrade a P.O.S. Dell.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I think I'm gonna move this back to the building thread, now that we've established it's not going to deal with laptops. :P

thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Closed Thread