Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the0wner

Baseband Member
Other day i was talking to my cousin and telling him I wanna spend 500-700$ on an ok gaming desktop and he said it'd be better if i buy dells newest laptop and replae the graphic card and add memory and sound card after i buy it.

no. i read you cant replace gpu's in laptops. and even if you could youd still be spending more money doing so by replacing everything you listed.. just build your own, itd be funner to :)

It's extremely rare that you can replace a GPU on a laptop. Most laptop GPU are part of the motherboard. From time to time, you might have some laptop where there is a mini PCI slot where you can put in a GPU. However trying to find a suitable GPU by itself is going to be extremely hard to impossible. If you want a gaming laptop, get one with a good video chipset in the first place.

As for sound, I do not that Creative Labs have released USB, PCMCIA and Express Card Sound Cards. Problem is that it does mean that you have a this seperate card or some ports that are going to be sticking outside of the laptop.

Moving thread to Laptop Section.

no. i read you cant replace gpu's in laptops. and even if you could youd still be spending more money doing so by replacing everything you listed.. just build your own, itd be funner to :)

That's what I thought you can't replace them. Very true about fun part.

It's extremely rare that you can replace a GPU on a laptop. Most laptop GPU are part of the motherboard. From time to time, you might have some laptop where there is a mini PCI slot where you can put in a GPU. However trying to find a suitable GPU by itself is going to be extremely hard to impossible. If you want a gaming laptop, get one with a good video chipset in the first place.

As for sound, I do not that Creative Labs have released USB, PCMCIA and Express Card Sound Cards. Problem is that it does mean that you have a this seperate card or some ports that are going to be sticking outside of the laptop.

Moving thread to Laptop Section.

My cousin must be on something then lol. You can use usb ports for the sound? that's cool if you can but it wouldn't look good if it's gonna stick outside.. it's called a laptop for a reason lol. And sorry about posting in the wrong section

Yea, definitely stick with building a desktop. You won't be able to get a laptop that can do what a desktop can do for the same price generally. Put a build list together in one of the other sections and we can help you out.

Yea, definitely stick with building a desktop. You won't be able to get a laptop that can do what a desktop can do for the same price generally. Put a build list together in one of the other sections and we can help you out.

First I gotta see if i can sell my current laptop and thanks for offering the help :D. I'm still learning so it might be a while for me :laughing:

I think I was here for about 2 or 3 years before I built my first computer. Not because of lack of knowledge or help, but because of lack of funds, heh :D

I think I was here for about 2 or 3 years before I built my first computer. Not because of lack of knowledge or help, but because of lack of funds, heh :D

In my case, it's both atm :p.

My cousin just told me he meant dell desktops not laptops lol

I think I'm gonna move this back to the building thread, now that we've established it's not going to deal with laptops. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom