Trouble sharing Apple 20" Display - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Trouble sharing Apple 20" Display

Hi All,

I'm having real problems trying to share a 20" Apple cinema monitor between a Mac Mini and a WinXPsp2 PC. Most of the KVM switches I've found are VGA with PS2 connections. Even the DVI KVM switches themselves don't seem to support high enough resolutions (1680 x 1050 required - at least, may want to get bigger monitor in the future). The few products I've found with DVI and a suitable resolution (Adder for example) still have ps2 and not USB - and to compound matters there seems to be no support whatsoever for my Apple bluetooth keyboard. I could possible live with PS2, but am unsure if there are any adapters I could get that would work with my Apple keyboard (which I prefer to the bog standard PC keyboard if the truth be known).

My primary issue is the monitor - the DVI ports will wear out in no time at this rate with the amount of manual plugging and unplugging I'm doing. I would settle for a DVI channel switch device and manually switch the keyboard and mouse, but I can't find any simple switches of this sort either;( ...or even another DVI cable as a go-between so that I don't have to fumble round the back of the computers (can't find a gender changer or F-M DVI-I either).

I'm getting desperate to be honest - does anyone know of any solutions (other than to retreat into the forest and live in a tent far away from computers and technology)?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Closed Thread