Trouble with Processor Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenuma21

Beta member
Hello, I have a HP computer that I bought about 4 months ago. I bought it mainly because I wanted a Dual Processor, but the problem is that it isn't running to what it should be.

Computer:

OS - Windows XP Media Center
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 3800+
1GB Ram

Where I am having my problem is when I go to control panel to check my processor clock speed. When I'm there it is only showing 1.00GHz running.

The question I really have is, is it only running at 1 GHz because its a dual processor? Or do I need to do something to enable the computer to run at a higher speed?

I know that I have over 2 GHz with this computer, so I'm just not sure if it is running at that speed and I just don't know? Or do I need to do something special?

I currently reformatted my computer so if there were a virus or anything its gone, the computer is running from stratch with only 42 processes.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE!

- Andrew

On AMD's processors they have something called "Cool N' quiet" It makes the processor run at a lower clock speed when you're not using the full power of the processor. If you open a program, or a game and you need the power, it jacks right back up to 2 GHz. It saves on wattage used and prolongs the life of your processor.

It could be cool&quiet. Have you seen it 2Ghz before?

It could be a FSB issue. What FSB is your CPU and what is your Mobo on. You might need to change a jumper.

Download CPU-Z (the download link is in the upper left corner). It's a small download-and-run utility that will tell you all the basics about your hardware. It's also more reliable than the Windows System Properties.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom