Transferring old files

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-rock

In Runtime
Ok, so my dad recently built a new computer, and we no longer have the anything from the old computer except for the hard drive. We already have the new computer up and running and I was curious if there is anyway that we are able to get some files off of the old hard drive. we have tried to hook it up the computer, but since they both have operating systems on them the old one isn't recognized. Anyone know how to do this?

Yup, the computer doesn't care what's on the drive, an extra O/S or whatever, it'll boot from the harddrive that it's supposed too.

As long as he sets the other drive as a slave rather than a Master, anyway ;).

Set the jumper to either "Slave" or "Cable Select", as i assume it is an IDE/ATA drive coming from an older computer. If your new computer has a SATA drive, hook the old hard drive up to the other socket in the flat cable going to the optical drive (CD, DVD) using "Cable Select".

Like ohGrFreak said, the computer will boot from the proper drive. If it does get confused, it will ask you to chose which OS to boot from before it tries to boot from the wrong one. Once you get it working, I would delete the old OS from the hard drive to free up space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom