Transferring CPU from one motherboard to another - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Transferring CPU from one motherboard to another

Hello Everyone, I am a newbie to this forum. My current situation is this: I bought a gaming desktop from Gateway: fx6850-51u
It says that it has a Intel Core i7 2600 processor. I recently just purchased an ASRock P67 EXTREME4 motherboard. I was hoping that
I could transfer the cpu from the gateway to the new motherboard. Is this possible? I also purchased a better power supply and case because
when I looked inside of the gateway case, it didnt have enough room for all the pci ports nor was the power supply sufficient enough.
But what I am trying to find out is (1) Is it possible? (2) If it is possible what materials do i need? (3) Will I be able to transfer the heat sink over?
I have provided the links for all my specs. Thanks!

Old 10-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Transferring CPU from one motherboard to another

Yes, you can transfer both the cpu & heatsink onto the new motherboard.

Your probably gonna need a screw driver, thermal paste, rubbing alcohol, maybe windows 7 cd and all other parts your planning on transferring onto the new motherboard.

Before changing, make sure to backup all your important data on the hard drive first. When changing motherboards, you might need to re-install windows, repair windows, or windows might just work. You might also need to call to reactive your windows.

The rubbing alcohol is used to clean off the old thermal paste from the cpu & heatsink.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: Transferring CPU from one motherboard to another

The last Gateway I worked on had a heatsink that would only work on a Gateway. Can you post a picture of your current setup?
Closed Thread