transfering operating system!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaosunknown

Baseband Member
I just bought a new IDE hard-drive for my 7 year old gateway computer. I still use this computer for browsing the web and simple stuff like that so I decided to keep it around. So I got a new hard-drive because I wanted to replace the old one cause it was going bad. What I need to know is how can I transfer the operating system and all the data from the old hard-drive to the new one. I already have the old hard-drive set to master and new one set to slave and is ready to transfer. And yes the operating system on the computer is windows xp after I upgraded from millennium about 1yr ago. Any help would be appreciated.

~ chaosunknown ~

I'm not sure if you can transfer operating systems to another hard drive. You probably are going to have to do a clean install of XP on the new one.

Yea but the windows xp disc I have is only for upgrading from a previous windows operating system before xp. So that means I have have to go out and buy the one made for clean installs?

if you have another windows disk like 98 or ME, you can insert it during a clean install after you agree to the eula and then it will let you do a clean install anyways. pm or posrt in here if you have more questions, alternatively i'm pretty sure you can make an image or clone the hard drive with some programs

Ghost will do the job. but it ain't free.

There is a 15-day trial on MajorGeeks:
|MG| Free Download - Norton Ghost 10.0.0.8400

If you bought a Seagate drive, here is their free backup utility to copy your old drive to the new one:
Seagate Technology - DiscWizard

Apparently Maxtor now uses the same utility (since Seagate bought them).

Acronis also has a 15 day free trial:
Download HDD ghosting, data backup and restore software for home and home office PCs

Surely one of these will get you taken care of.

I have used Ghost, and it does the job right. Just make sure that you have it copy the MBR (Master Boot Record) or your copy won't be able to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom