Trade AMD X4 965 for i5 2500k, what price?

steve10765

Daemon Poster
So my buddy is planning on getting the Intel Core i7-3930K, he said he might sell his i5 or use it in his old case, I mentioned it would be nice for him to sell it to me and I can give you my AMD X4 965 for it. I am not how sure how much I should buy his i5 for, here are the important things
Has owned it for about 2 years
He has heavily overclocked it to 4.6ghz on stock air cooler(lower lifespan)
He paid 179$ for it.
I know it is a great increase in performance, so I would love to upgrade to it, how much should I pay him in cash? (don't forget I'm giving him my AMD)

He will sell it when he finds a good Mobo, he says he is having a hard trouble finding one, so maybe you could link some awesome stuff for him, he has money, but hes not rich so keep it reasonable for the performance. Here is his rig as far as I know. I know he wants it fairly future proof.
Intel Core i7-3930K (soon) , he will also be buying water cooling so keep that in mind!
GT680, he is thinking about SLI in the future, so try to find something with 3 GPU slots or more
he runs 16gb ram, grab a mobo with support for 32GB or more

Thanks! I was thinking of giving him 70$ and my CPU.

To his mobo, ASRock Extreme 6. Cheap, reliable, great OCs, perfect.

Since you are trading I wouldn't pay anymore than 100. Remember, you will need a board for it too unless you are trading boards as well. In that case, wouldn't pay more than 150.

For who? You or him?

You need an Intel board for the 2500k. If you both have boards I suggest just swapping CPU/Board as the 2500k wont run in your board and your 965 wont run in his.

Well....yea. AMD CPUs don't go in Intel boards and vice verse.

Just tell him you'll give him your board and CPU for his board and CPU and give him an extra 100 or whatever. Good upgrade and you know the combo works on both ends.

If you give him your CPU and he gives you his then you'll have a CPU you can't use and a board you can't use, and he will have a CPU and board he can't use. To be more specific, the 2500k needs a socket 1155 board (P67, Z68, Z77, ect) and your AMD CPU needs an AM2/3 board.

ok thanks, i will give him that proposal, his mobo is a lot better than mine, so ill give 70$ a try if not then ill shoot higher.

I just talked to him, he said he got a bundle, a 130$ mobo and 180 CPU, seeing as his mobo is 35$ more than mine its def better
its asus, he says he forgot what mobo he had.

EDIT: he did realize, i thought he said to me his mobo was 130$ just to tell me, not because he wanted to sell the bundle

Well if you can't get the motherboard or can't afford to buy one yourself then it's a no brainer, don't do it. You need a new motherboard for the 2500k.

Brand and cost doesn't make a product better.

Back
Top Bottom