Totally confused by compatibility for my upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferguslea

Solid State Member
Hi guys, i wanted to upgrade (clean full install) to Windows 7 64 bit.
My current configuration is as follows;

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

Board: ASRock G31M-GS (Which apparently only supports DDR 2 Ram)

3264 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory (2x4 gig ddr2)

2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 (Which apparently IS 64 bit compatible)

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT [Display adapter] (Which I think is OK for 64 bit?)

500 gig HDD

So heres the dilemma, I wanted to upgrade my ram to 8 gig, to kind of future proof it. I hear though, and have no idea if its true, that, with ddr 2 anything over 4 gig will actually make the system slower, or does that only apply in 32 bit systems?

Bearing in mind the system specs given and those desired any recommendations you guys could offer would be very gratefully received.

Thanks in anticipation and best regards,

Brian.

The board has a 8GB max limit, so you are fine there. 8GB does not slow down your system. Even in x32, it just can't use more than ~3.5GB.

Do you already have 8GB DDR2, but only can use the 3264MB?

The graphic card is fine for x64. ;)

Anything else you want? Upgrade the graphic card? Upgrade the CPU? (what CPU do you have?)

Thanks Mindover, thats put my mind at rest. I can't really afford any other upgrades at the moment, the rig is only just over 2 year old as it is and of course I bought the best I could afford at the time.

The CPU is an intel core2 quad 9400 @ 266, but the graphics card has 1 gb onboard too so I think, hope, that this set up, with the OS and ram upgrade ought to be good enough for some of the higher end games to come.

Currently have 2 x 2gb ddr 2 ram installed which I'm going to butcher for a back up machine (I work from home and need a spare) Any advice on the best value 2 x4 ddr2? Money is a bit tight but I'd still like something decent (don't we all - lol!)

Thanks in anticipation and best regards,

Brian.

Hi and thanks again for getting back to me, a slip up in the original post, I desire 2x 4 gb ram, I have 2 x 2 gb ram - lol, I only have 2 slots so it would need to be 2 x 4 as 8 is the max the MOBO will support.

I do a wee bit of gaming but theres no way I could afford anything like the "alien ware" rigs that I often salivate over, no sir, what I have is the best I can afford and I hope it will be good enough!

Another thing which has just come up (and this is for future reference) eventually I would like an external HDD (I like movies too) most these days seem to have usb 3.0, my rig has usb 2.0, how hard is it to upgrade my usb ports with this MOBO?

Sorry to be such a pain but I simply don't know about these things and if it weren't for the internet and good souls like your own, I would be pretty stuck.

Once again thank you in advance and best regards,

Brian.

Not a pain at all.

This is the cheapest you can get in 2 x 4GB DDR2:

Newegg.com - Patriot Gamer Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model PGS28G6400ELK

Could get a GFX like this:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-677X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Lifetime warranty FTW.

If you want to update to USB3, you would need a PCI card. USB3 has an entirely different slot. You can't just upgrade them. USB3 is back compatible to USB2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom