Total noob building PC - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Send a message via AIM to spartanp1
Default Total noob building PC

I'm just gathering information about building a PC (Im saving up to build one in a few months)

Something I dont understand is after I plug all this stuff in (Video card, ram, processor etc etc) and then I turn this thing on.. then what lol... Ive been trying to look up info on line but all I get are "Buy my components" websites. I know I need Vista but can someone give me some advice

Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Re: Total noob building PC

It is really simple.... I have never started up a new computer and installed Vista but I have with installing XP. I'm sure they are about the same. Once you have everything put together and turn it on, you should come up to the motherboard BIOS. Go through it and make sure it reconizes everything. Once you are done with that it's time to load up windows... its been a while but you should see a prompt to install windows. Load in the disk and follow the menus. It will auto format your hard drive and run through the set up. Once you are done with windows its time to install drivers. Start with either your motherboard driver disc or your video driver disc. Run through those installations and install other drivers you may have like sound, keyboard, mouse, ect...

Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: Total noob building PC

Read a book on how and what to piece together. Your first goal should be to purchase components that are compatable. This again can be done by doing a little google researching and reading the specs on each component. Also make sure every component is Vista ready (it should be if they are new).

Second is to put it together. Again i would suggest reading a book because you could very easily destroy a 60 dollar piece of ram or 150 dollar processor by misshandling it. So read again.

THird is the boot and install. I would first startup the computer and ensure you get a clean post. Then enter the bios and make your DVD rom the first boot device, followed by your hard drive.

Fourth is place your Vista disk into the DVD drive and restart the computer. It will say press any key to boot from CD, then obviously press something and follow the steps to install Vista.
-Vista SME
Closed Thread