tips on installing new processor?

zaka100

W͂Oͨ̍̍̒̈́͛̕
Is there any important information i need to know while/before installing a new laptop processor (eg: updating the BIOS)? I'm replacing an intel c2d t7250 (2ghz) with an intel x7900 (2.8ghz). I know it will fit and it will work with the laptop. If I need to update the BIOS, can i get some help because i never did it before and i don't want to risk wrecking my laptop. :neutral:

Go on your laptop manufacturer's website and see if there's a BIOS update available.

Did you also buy new thermal compound, because you'll need some of that as well, as well as stuff to clean the old paste off of the heatsink (I recommend coffee filters since they're non-lint, and super cheap for a bunch of them, as well as at least 90% isopropyl alcohol).

My uncle has some thermal compound and stuff like that because he has a custom build pc and he lets me use some. By the way, is updating the BIOS a risk at all?

It can be a risk if the system loses power during the update, or (if it's a Windows-based update) your AV blocks the BIOS update or something similar.

I got the bios update from the official toshiba website but when i opened the installer, it said that the product was not supported. I KNOW that i found the right update. any help please? shall i run it as administrator or click 'troubleshoot compatibility'?

EDIT: Run as administrator does not work.

Did you check to see if you have the latest BIOS update already?

Start -> type 'msinfo32' (without the quotes) and press Enter

Look for the BIOS Version/Date line in the System Summary section and compare that to what version you downloaded.

Also double check to make sure you grabbed the correct BIOS update for the correct model.

Back
Top Bottom