Tips and Ideas for Beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilles

In Runtime
As stated in an earlier thread, I'm totally new to building computers (apart from installing RAM and the odd video card). I've been trying to learn as much as I can on my own, but it's so much easier to ask. I am looking to build a pretty powerful PC, but have I to wait until my bank account doesn't look so empty. In the meantime I'm working on an old computer trying to learn to tear it apart, and build it, so you'll probably see a lot of questions from me later. This was a bit longer than planned. :p

So I didn't want to ask you guys to just give me a build, I'd rather come up with the build myself, being the proud egotistical person I am.So instead I'd rather ask questions and get some part "ideas". Perhaps we can fool my ego.

So my initial thought was to just build a powerhouse PC for around $2000. Now I'm thinking I don't have the budget to build something like that, and would rather build something that can be upgraded to a high performance PC. I'm not sure exactly how to do this, my guess would be to get a solid Motherboard and Processor, then go a little skimpy on RAM, Video Card, and HDD, and upgrade them later.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good Motherboard and Processor that can be paired with some mediocre RAM and Video Card, and then upgraded later? I realize the longer I wait the more outdated my "nice" motherboard and processor will be, so 'later' will probably be around February and I'll get the Motherboard and Processor in November.

So that was quite long, I hope I didn't bore you.

Its best to get the parts all around the same time, because when you get the last set of parts you will realize that the parts you bought earlier have gotten cheaper.

Next, there is no need to skimp out on RAM and a video card(s). Heck you can get crossfire 4850's for around $270 all up, and 4GB's of DDR2 ram for $65. (Although you will need expensive DDR3 ram if you plan on going Nehalem.)

Next thing, wait until Nehalem (Core i7) comes out otherwise your board and CPU will typically be outdated the moment you touch it.

Hope i helped.

Do not buy cheap parts and replace later. I'm the same way at times, I want things immediately. But save your money, and when you can, buy the machine that will truly be great, and will last you. Because if you get just decent parts now, you won't be truly happy with it, and in a few months when you want to upgrade, you'll realize that you want to just get a new computer because your motherboard and processor are outdated anyway. Just save and be patient, that's my honest advice. Oh, and when the time comes, let others help you pick parts. You may want to do it yourself, but why not get the advice of others with more knowledge. You'll be happier to have the better parts in the long run, and you can still build it yourself, which is the real experience.

I agree with the others. Don't buy good parts and then cheap parts, you won't be happy doing that anyway, wait until you have the funds to build a nice computer. You can build a nice one for around $1000. And yes, use advice from the helpful people here when you decide to purchase parts, always the best way to get the best bang for your buck. I am building a pretty powerful computer for a great price, around $1200 and will run everything I will throw at it. Not sure if you have the funds for that just now, just putting it out there.

Thanks guys, and yes I will post my parts before I buy to get opinions, I just want to pick the parts, not have you guys do it, if you get what I mean.

Well maybe I'm a little confused on prices. I plan on spending around 1200 for the computer. That's just case and hardware, no accessories.

And zedman3d any idea on the release date for the new Nehalems? I saw that it was supposed to be this year, but then saw another person saying 2009. Also would the 2.4ghz be worth getting (I hear it's estimated to be around $250)? I can't afford a $500 processor.

Also wouldn't it be better to get an old processor cheap, and upgrade to a Nehalem when they lower in price? From what I hear they are marked way up.

Nehalem uses a new socket, so the old CPU's wont be able to fit in the new motherboards. As for which Nehalem, i would reccomend the 2.66ghz model. Thats around the price your looking for. The next one up is the near 3ghz model but that's around $650.

And the pricing is pretty fair, i mean that 2.66ghz model can OC very very well.

When you think you have chosen good parts on your own post what parts you have chosen and we will check if its all good and suggest improvements.

They run more efficient right? I heard 30% faster (or was it cooler?). So you'd say even with the high prices, they are better per dollar than the old Intel Core 2s?

Oh and I'm guessing it's better to pick a case after your parts?

Its upto 30% better clock for clock over previous Core 2 Quads (because Nehalem Core i7's are all Quad cores.)

And just choose a case you like. Its personal preference. Just dont use a PSU that comes with the case unless its an Antec case.

Okay ill fix it a bit up for you.

CPU: Good choice.

Mobo: Overly expensive, not really worth it. Here's a great one:
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TPower I45 LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards - $159

Videocard: Thats also a good choice, but i preffer this because its around the same price but faster:
Newegg.com - HIS Hightech H485F512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards (Two of them in Crossfire mode.) - $289 for both.

RAM: Good choice, people will most likely post saying get OCZ Reapers but your choice is also good.

PSU: Good choice.

HDD: We usually recommend this one:
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Case: Im not a big fan of: "WOW OMG LOOK AT ME!" cases... but its your choice. haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom