Is it time for some upgrades? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-05-2015, 07:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Is it time for some upgrades?

If you look it's a tiny overclock over the non clocked cards. Definitely not worth it, and it's bought by people not smart enough to use precision or after burner to boost the clocks themselves.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-2...eForce+GTX+970
Is the best deal.
__________________

__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
Student & Lover of Games
 
XGC Forsakend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Is it time for some upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
If you look it's a tiny overclock over the non clocked cards. Definitely not worth it, and it's bought by people not smart enough to use precision or after burner to boost the clocks themselves.
Amazon.com: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card Graphics Cards 04G-P4-2978-KR: Computers & Accessories
Is the best deal.
That's what I thought. Care to tell me which option you believe is the best though? That page has all 6 versions linked to it. It took me right to the GTX970 ACX 2.0 FTW.
__________________

XGC Forsakend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,289
Default Re: Is it time for some upgrades?

The best version is the cheapest version. I have a reference card and can OC to higher than even the Classified version. The FTW and Classified cards come with higher VRMs for better overclocking but it takes tinkering in ways you'll probably never go to get that extra bit out of the card.

I would get this one.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-S...s=evga+gtx+970

Also, Newegg does have credit in the form of their Preferred account. You can apply and you'll get a response pretty much instantly. 12 months no interest on products 500 and over, 6 months no interest on product 250 and over. If you want to apply, go to your account dashboard and select the preferred link on the left side to avoid a login bug.

To be clear, this card is a bad excuse of a reference and not the real reference card.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Supercloc...s=evga+gtx+970
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Student & Lover of Games
 
XGC Forsakend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,395
Default Re: Is it time for some upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
The best version is the cheapest version. I have a reference card and can OC to higher than even the Classified version. The FTW and Classified cards come with higher VRMs for better overclocking but it takes tinkering in ways you'll probably never go to get that extra bit out of the card.

I would get this one.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-S...s=evga+gtx+970
Yea, was hovering between that one and the one above it. And you are right about the tinkering, don't plan on messing with it at all so it would have been wasted on me.

Alright then. Thank you guys for your input. ^_^
XGC Forsakend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Is it time for some upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC Forsakend View Post
That's what I thought. Care to tell me which option you believe is the best though? That page has all 6 versions linked to it. It took me right to the GTX970 ACX 2.0 FTW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGC Forsakend View Post
Yea, was hovering between that one and the one above it. And you are right about the tinkering, don't plan on messing with it at all so it would have been wasted on me.

Alright then. Thank you guys for your input. ^_^
Yha that's the one I tried to link to as well.

Up in Canada that puppy is $400+
__________________

__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
time for some upgrades spartan1121 New Systems | Building and Buying 10 11-18-2007 06:16 PM
Need some advice on my xmas time upgrades Ice breaker New Systems | Building and Buying 13 12-12-2006 11:03 AM
What are some good upgrades Fredster102 Overclocking and Modding 8 10-03-2005 09:11 AM
Upgrades Some Help Please Megadeth2 Monitors, Printers and Peripherals 1 11-22-2004 12:58 PM



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.