Time for a PC upgrade..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeh

In Runtime
Hope you all had a nice Christmas.
I need to upgrade my PC's video card as it cannot run SIMS 2 or Age of Empires III smoothly with the settings at high (and low settings aren't worth it). I don't need a high end video card as these games are indeed intensive, but not that intensive e.g. FPS, therefore nVidia 8800GTS's or whatever aren't necessary (but I would love to have one). Something cheap but easily 'overclockable' i.e. pipelines can be opened easily and ect.
I wouldn't mind using an ATI card either (you can switch between nVid and Ati cards right?), I'm interested in these but I need all of your expert help :):

1. Buy XFX nVidia GeForce 8400GS 256MB PV-T86S-WAHG from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2007
2. Buy Inno3D 1024MB GeForce 8500GT I-8500GT-I4F3D from CCL - Online Retailer of the Year 2007

Ugh, there's too many!
Any help is welcome and of course, appreciated!!

My answer is "D, none of the above." unless you HAVE to have a DX10 card, look at some of the last gen's cards, such a 7600s and 7900s (7800s are/were too expensive), or X16xx and X19xx.

The 8400/8500 are low end cards and not really worth bothering with if you plan on any gaming.

Also depends on your budget. I would stay away from the 8500/8400 those cards are just not worth it. Even the older 7900's are better. Depending on your budget you could get a Radeon HD 3850. Those are very good cards especially for the price. If they get them back in stock at bestbuy its an even better deal. (VisionTek - ATI RADEON HD3850 Graphics Card - 900203)
Even Newegg has them in stock for $165 after rebate. So if you can afford it go for that otherwise get something like a 7900 or equivalent on the radeon side.

otherwise get something like a 7900 or equivalent on the radeon side.
That would be the X19xx line. I have the X1950Xt and can vouch that it is a great card... but I want a 38xx.

yeah I thought it was that but at the time I bought a 7600gt, which is a great card but its getting up there in age, kinda sad since its only a year old.

Thank you for the advice, they have definitely narrowed down the search but there's still a lot to choose from.
Surely, SIMS 2 and AOE III aren't that graphically intense so the high end cards e.g. X1950s and ect aren't that necessary?
Oh and I'm from the UK therefore we don't have internet retailers like newegg and ect :(. My budget is in the region of £30 - 70 ish can go higher if the card is 'nice', will last me a long time and is suitably priced.

Questions,

How about these cards:
ATI x1650 pro Novatech X1650 Pro 512MB DDR2 DVI TV/Out 16X PCI-E : nov-x165p5
Q: Are the ATI HD 2400 - 2600 series any good?

Searching on ebay now haha, will post back. Help is again appreciated and welcomed.

No I wouldn't think The Sims 2 or AOE3 require super demanding cards, but I would not consider the X1950 a high end card, good card yes, but its not high end. I have no experience with the 2400-2600 series so I cannot comment on that. Plus since I do not live in the UK I do not know how much a HD 3850 card. However, I know that the 3850 is one of the best for bang for your bucks availible and would probably last you a considerable time, you dont want to have to upgrade anytime soon, but it might be slightly out of your budget. I wouldn't go lower than a 7900 or X1950. Thats just my opinions and hopefully someone can give you a word on the 2400-2600 series. You can google reviews on them and see if you can find some benchmarks for the cards and maybe even the exact games your using...

lol what a stupid question, wow should have really asked that. Especially what resolution your running at.:D

Lol :p, here they are:

CPU - AMD 3500+ Oc'd to 2.6 ghz
2x 512 MB Ram running at dual channel
6600LE nVidia graphics card
320 GB HD
1024x768

Built it last year but it's still doing good (except for, IMO, the video card)

EDIT:
Think I'll just give in and purchase a 8800GT or a card around there. BTWW, I want to upgrade my CPU as well, ideas..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom