Time to build a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WasTech

In Runtime
Hey guys n gals,

It's time to build a new computer. I've had this one for a few years now. I'm almost 50 now so I don't game a lot on comp but I still play Madden and others on PS3. So I'd like to be able to play Mad on new comp (Not a must if I can't do it cheap). My habits are doing work with Word, email, surfing, watching videos, using Photo shop.

My comp now. My own build. Still using a tall tower I bought from one of those comp shows. It's about 10yrs. or more old. I modified it for xtra fans, it's built strong I might use it again. Unless you guys have a real good reason not to. My MB is a ASUS A8V-X with a AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 GHz (That I bought used from somebody on this site) works great. I'm still using my old MSI AGP GEForce TI-200 128MB - RAM is DDR2 2GB - Thermltak TR2-430W PS, SATA 700GB Seagate HD and Liteon IHAS424 24X DVD drive. Using Win XP Pro SP3. Might upgrade to Win 7 64bit.

So what would you recommend for my next bulid? I of course would like best value for my money. I also want to get a LCD monitor. I'm looking at 24" ASUS VH242H $180. I'd like to be able to see in HD.

Would also be interested if you are selling any good parts you think will be a good upgrade from what I'm using now. Thanks

I'd like to find used like I did for the 3500+ CPU. If not I'd like to spend max $150 for MB and CPU combo and about $70 for Graph card (Radeon is ok usually cheaper than Nvidia). I'd like to use my DDR2 King HyperX RAM and just bring it to 4GB, by buying 2 more sticks. I'd go around $70 for new mid-tower. I should be good for now with hard drive. Win 7 Pro 64bit I would like to get retail so I can put it on more than one comp.

I should be able to find used. Some of you guys change computer parts like I change underwear. LOL :)

Some of you guys change computer parts like I change underwear. LOL :)

mhm, so you change your underwear every year or two, and you try to find last season's used underwear for cheap... :p

a little more on topic; here are some parts you could upgrade to,
cpu/motherboard
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon II X4 620 Propus 2.6GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor ADX620WFGIBOX
+
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TA785 A2+ AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G ATX AMD Motherboard

you could take the jump from single to quad core. along with a board that will allow you to use your current ram and still gives you the option to upgrade further to amd's latest six core cpus.

ram
Newegg.com - WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 3AXT6400C5-2048K
just 2gigs more.

gfx card
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100287VGAL Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Ok I'll check these out tomorrw. But why do you want me to use different RAM than the HyperX I have now? Thanks

Doesn't anybody have parts they want to sell? I'll pay you thru PayPal so you're safe. Well safer. :)

The RAM is in addition to what you already have, not in place of it. ;)

You can check out the Buy/Sell/Trade and Hot Deals forum and see what's listed.

That's the motherboard I put in my wife's computer. It seems to be a good'ern so far. Unlocked the fourth core of the tri I put in it just fine.

I like your new avatar GIR, I mean Muffin Man :thumbsup:

thx :D

Yeh, I did. I meant why not Hyperx again. Isn't it better to stay with one brand?

Also I found this MB. I like the idea of OB video then I can get more RAM. Although I didn't like the reviews for this model. Can't use my RAM but would like to use old comp for 2nd computer, maybe.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

you can use 2 different brands without issues, that's how my setup is right now ;)

but yea, you would need new ddr3 ram for that board. do you have a new budget now or are you just tossing out some ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom