Tiger Direct confusing me..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzy

Baseband Member
Before you tell me to buy a custom, I can't; parents are uneasy on the situation, and you nor anyone can convince them otherwise.

I've found a few computers at TD. What's really confusing me, however, is the RAM

See:

First of all, the title reads:
Gateway GT5034 AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200(Dual-Core) 2.2GHz / 2GB DDR / 320GB HDD / DVD±RW Dual-Layer / DVD-Rom / Flash Media Reader / TV Tuner / Windows XP Media Center 2005 / Refurbished Desktop PC

Which I then assume that this system's RAM is 2GB. Okay, that's nice. Then I view the "detailed specs":
  • Memory Size: 512MB
  • Total Memory: 2.0GB

So is the system's RAM 512MB, and capable of 2GB? Or is each stick 512MB, but totals 2GB (512MBx4)?

This is very confusing, and very misleading. From the review on the Gateway, it says that "512mb isn't enough", but from reading the review it seems as though that the person who gave the review doesn't actually own the system. I also can't imagine why they would put "2gb DDR" in the title if that is all it is capable of.

RAM Memory Specifications

Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 512MB
Total Memory 2.0GB
Memory Speed DDR 400 (PC-3200)
Memory Slots (Total) 4
Memory Slots (Available) 0
Maximum Memory Supported 4.0GB

As you can see this system has installed 4x512MB ram.(2GB)

The motherboard has 4 ram slots "Memory Slots (Total) = 4" and is using all the slots with 4x512MB ram so now you have "Memory Slots (Available) = 0"

"Maximum Memory Supported = 4.0GB" This is the total amount that the motherboard can support. 4x1GB ram sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom