Thumbs Up or Down on Dell 3000 deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
Here are the specifications for purchase of Dell Dimension 3000. After discounts, rebates, coupons, etc., the system will run me in total exactly $600 (before taxes). This includes 4 Year Warranty and Free Printer. Excellent deal? OK deal? Not such a great deal? Tell me what you think. Thanks for the help. Here are the specs of everything I get:

Dell Dimension 3000 MCE Pentium 4 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor w/ HT Technology (3GHz, 800 FSB)
Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
Memory 512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
Keyboard and Mouse Bundles Dell Quietkey Keyboard and Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse
Monitors 17 inch E773 (16 inch viewable) Conventional CRT
Video Card Integrated Intel® Extreme Graphics 2
Hard Drive 80GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive
Floppy Drives and Additional Storage Devices 3.5 in Floppy Drive
Mouse Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Modem 56K PCI Data/Fax Modem
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0
CD or DVD Drive Dual Drives: 48x CD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/dbl layer write capability
Sound Card Sound Blaster® Live! 24-bit ADVANCED HD™ Audio
Speakers Dell A215 Speakers
Office Productivity Software No Productivity Suite - Corel WordPerfect® word processor only
Security Software No Security Subscription
Digital Music Musicmatch® Jukebox Basic
Digital Photography Photo Album™ SE Basic
Limited Warranty, Services and Support Options SAVE $60 (after rebate) 4Yr Ltd Warranty,At-Home Srvc + Nights and Weekend
Internet Access Services 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
Miscellaneous Award Winning Service and Support
Financial Software (Preinstalled) No QuickBooks package selected- Includes limited use trial
Media Center Enhancements Remote Control

Dell 720 Color Printer Qty 1
Free Dell Color Printer 720 Unit Price $0.00
Catalog Number: 29
Module Description Show Details
Dell Color Printer 720 Free Dell Color Printer 720
Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd. Warranty- Advance Exchange

i would have said thats ok, but no doubt evry1 else will tell you to build ur own pc.

yea, but ur still buying dell. everyone will tell you to purchase all parts separatly, and asemble it urself.

As long as you are happy with your selection, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks....:)

One point i would like to make is that the computer above has on board graphics. (on board = on the motherboard). You'll be dissapointed if you're trying to play 3D video games.

The first time I built my own PC, i had very, very little knowledge of how to do so. But I followed (ESD) Electro-Static Discharge - procedures and was very careful handling components. Read the component manuals and searched for information on the internet.

I had a few problems at first, but nothing that was too difficult to fix. Building your own PC is the smartest, most economical and futureproof way to owning a modern PC. You buy the best parts in your price range and assemble it. Large companies like Dell, buy cheap garbage components in bulk or manufacture them and use them to give you your "Promotion" builds. But, if you take that same money you would spend on a Dell and build your own PC, you can pick an choose which components you want to use and know that they are quality parts.

We here at Tech-Forum.net help new builders all the time, pick and choose their parts and then walk them through the building process. If you are interested in this, just PM someone. We'll start a walkthrough thread and help you from start to finish.

Intense gaming of course

Just kidding.

I know the graphics card is somewhat weak, but the computer is for internet, email, IM, watching DVDs, videos, Microsoft Office use, playing online poker, music downloads, and use of multiple apps at once. I have never in past used for intense games and don't anticipate in future.

Media Center Edition 2005? With integrated graphics? No TV Tuner card? 80GIG Harddrive? Sound blaster live???

This is the lowest budget MCE PC i've ever seen. And it's from DELL, how suprising....

Dont plan on playing games with that PC. the 3000 does not come with an AGP slot, and even if it did, the PSU is not powerful enough for one. Thats a nice machine for internet use, word processing and yahoo! games. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom