Three questions before I purchase items on july 14th. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Question Three questions before I purchase items on july 14th.

I am currently gathering the money for a minimal upgrade of my pc I do every summer.

Would this Artic silver work with my masscool heatsink fan ?

1. Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

This is what I have in my pc at the moment:

New Masscool 8WT15-38 775 Heat Sink Fan to 3.6GHz - eBay (item 250397974852 end time Jul-27-09 01:52:22 PDT)

2. Also my celeron tempature has been steadily heating up to quickly, I think it has to do with masscools pregrease being on there now for 8 months.
Currently my celeron e1400 is at 51c and currently here it's 3:25am, during the day it reaches 63c if I don't have my fan blowing during the day.

Will artic silver work fine for my current heatsink and lower the tempature at a steady 38-43c ?

3. I had just looked gigabytes mobo under 54.00 half of them that people have gotten said they were DOA or not functioning properly.
I really would like a gigabyte mobo under 60.00 but they have been having some very badluck with some of theor mobo's.
I can't risk getting a DOA right now, trying to cough up 60.00 for the thermal grease and the board is hard enough.

I am considering another foxconn that "WILL" over clock.

Newegg.com - Foxconn G31MXP-K LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Default Re: Three questions before I purchase items on july 14th.

get tx-2 instead of AS5. It is a bit better.

as for the mb question I will let someone else answer that one for you.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I'd say any of these would work fine.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

There are bad experiences with every board. I don't think GB as a company is sending out more DOAs than others. But you can't really go wrong with ASUS.
thirdshiftdj - what on earth are you trying to say???
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM or IM.
If I helped you out, or what I just said rocked you like a hurricane, hit the little thingie over there.
<-------------------------------
Old 06-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

If you're hitting 51 when it should be relatively cool, I would think twice about overclocking and spending tons of money on a new mobo.
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Cort View Post
If you're hitting 51 when it should be relatively cool, I would think twice about overclocking and spending tons of money on a new mobo.
What ? before summer began, my celeron and mobo stayed relatively cool.
When I checked it on may 2nd in the bios it said 43c and the tempature in georgia was averaging between 73 to 82 degrees in that month .
The reason why it's getting too hot is because of augusta's summer heat reaching the triple digits.
Thats why pete I was asking about some newer thermal paste, masscool's thermal paste doesn't work to good.

Also I am not looking into any major overclocking I just needed a board in a range of under 60.00 that could do that without screwing up.
Closed Thread