Thoughts on this SSD deal from newegg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crown_Royal

Solid State Member
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Was wondering what the thoughts were on this SSD? I haven't really heard much about Samsung SSD's. It looks to be a good deal with the $30 promo code. I'm looking to add a SSD to my current setup, I have a 500gb HDD for storage. I'm also looking at these 2 SSD's, any thoughts on which would be better? I'm not opposed to paying a little more if the drive is more reliable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167093

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

I haven't been following the SSD's very closely so I'm not exactly sure what the more reputable and dependable brands are as far as SSD's are concerned. I appreciate the help.

Different people will take different sides on each. I, for example, would choose OCZ, when someone else would suggest the Intel.

Don't take it to heart, but just to give you an idea. I would base it off this: AnandTech - Bench - SSD

Intel and Samsung are the two top brands for SSD reliability so if that is a priority for you then they are the way to go. OCZ offers good performance but they are at the opposite end of the list as far as quality is concerned.

The Intel 520 is faster than the Samsung however both perform very well so I would be inclined to take the Samsung due to the price difference.

OCZ is either awesome, or crap... no in-between. Most are awesome, but they do push out a lemon now and again.

The OCZ says it has 2,000,000 MTBF, whereas the Samsung has 1,500,0 and the Intel has 1,200,000. Not that anyone would be using one that long.

All businesses will have a rotten apple or two come through.
Back to the OP, I would recommend the OCZ Agility 3.
Newegg.com - OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Though, as Mind mentioned above, it will come down to user preference. I matched up this OCZ based on the Life expectancy, the Read/Write speed, and lastly the price in comparison to what you would pay for the others for similar, if not lesser performance.

I might note that the majority of the time you buy an Intel product, you'll usually pay top dollar for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom