Thinking of getting new cooler, concern

Da11en47

In Runtime
I'd rather not have this thread turn into "Buy this instead", so therefore I'm considering getting the Corsair H50.

CORSAIR Hydro series H50 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - Newegg.com

For some reason my motherboard revs the CPU fan up really high when turning on and then tones it down very quietly, rather quickly. I have read that this could be normal, I have tried messing with all the fan settings possible in the BIOS, but it still does it.

My issue/concern is, the new cooler has both a fan and a water pump. I'm nervous that the sudden high revs would carry over and possible damage the water pump. Thank you.

EDIT: Also, I noticed my CPU fan has a 4 pin connector, and 3 pin connectors for other system fans.

This video shows the pump using a 3 pin connector at 1:52, which I believe plugs into the CPU Fan? Then shows at 2:30 the 120 mm fan using a 4 pin connector. It seems my motherboard has the reverse or does it not matter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx5usoClfDs

Last edited:
People will tell you to buy other products because there is better out there for the same money, for instance the H55 or H60.

As to your fan, it's normal. Pretty much almost all motherboards do it despite bios settings because the settings for the fans don't take effect until after post.

As to actually using this cooler, you don't plug the pump module into the motherboard. You use an adapter to give it straight 12v power for the duration the PC is on. In other words, a 4 pin molex to 3 pin fan connector adapter like this one (or similar).
CABLES UNLIMITED FAN-CABLE - Newegg.com

I'm running an H50 right now since I don't have my custom water. I've owned one since they were first release. Unless you are getting one super cheap or free, just get an H55 or H60. They are better designed with better pumps and cool plates.

Thanks, I checked out the H60 and noticed it has one 3 pin connector for everything. I also read that if I disable Smart Fan which I have, it should provide 12v to all fan connectors on the MB. Thoughts?

Last edited:
It's not different. My P55 board does it, and so does my X79 board as did a wide range of AMD boards I've owned over the years. Like I said, it's normal.

No just the pump needs direct voltage. You don't want the motherboard limiting the voltage to the pump in any way. The other actual fans can be connected to the motherboard.

Back
Top Bottom